Author Topic: 69 Shelby Rims Restoration  (Read 3749 times)

Offline ddonzella

69 Shelby Rims Restoration
« on: December 28, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »
Anyone have a lead on any company that will restore my original Shelby wheels?  They are the glued type of rim, not riveted or bolted. They are not in poor condition. Just not in excellent condition.

Thank You

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 69 Shelby Rims Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
Not sure if they only do their own or not

Paradise Wheels, Inc. was established in 1981 by Craig Conley as a specialty wheel company for early Shelby Mustangs. Today, the company still manufactures and restores those same wheels: 1965 and early 1966 GT-350 Shelby Cragars, 1967 Kelsey Hayes Shelby Magstars and 1969-1970 Shelby Five-Spoke wheels.

http://paradisewheels.biz/
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »
I am not aware of anyone restoring the original pressed in type wheels or the riveted ones for that matter . Craig Conley has told me in the past that it was because of liability.  Also typically you lose the rim or the center during disassembly. They cut the rim to get the center or break out the center to get to save the rim. You typically have to have two sets to end up with 4 good centers and 4 good rims . The repro centers that Conley makes look great and you could probably short cut it by using the original rims and repro centers.  Craig Conley restores the 69 wheels if you want to call it that . He reuses and restores the center and re attaches it to a modern different appearing DOT approved rim . He does a good job but they look different. He uses epoxy like original but instead of rivets he uses threaded Allen headed cap screws. The wheels don't end up looking as good as the current repros (not Craigs because his use cap screws also) because the repros use rivets the last time I checked . He does not do the pressed in only wheels.   
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:02:22 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
thanks

Offline tschwingle

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 07:00:12 PM »
Bob Gaines/Others:

You mentioned that the current repos are pretty good, where would you go for repos?

I have decent, original 1969 rims, with a little surface rust.   From a "concours" perspective, with the fact that NO one is doing a complete correct restoration, what would you suggest I do with my nearly complete restoration of my 1969 Shelby?

Thanks for any assistance!

Todd

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 08:28:47 PM »
My originals have a little surface rust. I used aluminum foil with water to minimize the appearance of the rust, and then wax the rims. Then, I use my Legendary rims for my non show driving.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 11:37:02 PM »
Bob Gaines/Others:

You mentioned that the current repos are pretty good, where would you go for repos?

I have decent, original 1969 rims, with a little surface rust.   From a "concours" perspective, with the fact that NO one is doing a complete correct restoration, what would you suggest I do with my nearly complete restoration of my 1969 Shelby?

Thanks for any assistance!

Todd
Wheel Vintiques used to make them but like other Shelby wheels they used to offer have been dropped from production. Craig Conley is the only after market or refurbished alternative.   https://paradisewheels.biz/about-us  .  I would buy his repro wheels instead of restoring the ones you have and keep your originals as spares. The reason why is that his repro wheels will cost near the same as using your current wheels and having them refurbished .I didn't say restored because that infers that they will look like originals.  When they are refurbished they will not be any better then the repro wheels as it relates to factory correctness. Please read my previous thread where I explain the difference. With that said it might be nice to use the fresh repro wheels for show and the original wheels that have slight rust with some nice radials for pleasure driving. If you are still confused you can PM me and I will give my telephone number for you to call. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby