Author Topic: Loose Steering Column. Please Help!  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Joshmcintosh

Loose Steering Column. Please Help!
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »
Hey guys,

Having this problem with my Steering Column on a 68 Mustang Coupe, link is below. Any ideas?

Video link -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Loose Steering Column. Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
Ok assuming that this is a factory column and parts have you checked the clamp and the mounting bolts that attach it to the bottom of the dash and through to the brake pedal support?

Get a flashlight, look up in the area where the column meets the bottom of the dash and wiggle the steering column back and forth. See anything loose?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:26:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Joshmcintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
Yes all there it appears to be within the shaft.

Regards

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
Yes all there it appears to be within the shaft.

Looking at your video the column at the base of the dash appears to move left and right

Cone that holds the turn signal unit appears to move with the steering wheel - suggesting to the viewer its not inside the column But ok we only see on angle does the column move at the base of the firewall where the column passes through there and is held by a large black plate and bid screws?

Is the center shaft still connected to the rag joint at the steering box?  Might need some help moving the steering wheel while looking down there.

If the base is solid, attachment point is still solid at the rag joint guess we should cover - Was it fine before and this just happen or are you just now assembling the car and found the problem?

Had the top of the column apart?  Steering wheel off?  Replaced the turn indicator switch?

Bottom of the dash showing the non-tilt style column clamp/bracket

Bottom of firewall - showing black plate and one of the four big screw heads

End of the column center steering shaft and rag joint attachment. Often this fibrous item fails or rots away

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:57:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Joshmcintosh

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
Here are a couple vids to better depict the situation...

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
Methinks you have a tilt column with a broken latching mechanism.  Just MHO.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Joshmcintosh

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
It's a fixed column actually, but if I end up replacing it I'm definitely getting a tilt!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
Before I replay I just realized (sorry) that this is your first thread  - so welcome to the site and we hope that you find the information here useful in your concours restoration goals and projects

The latest videos suggest multiple issues

In the one it appears that the bell/upper housing is moving when compared to the shaft This might suggest that the attachment between the two are loose

As far as under the dash it appears that you have a collection of non factory parts

Your car (in this area) appears to be a collection of parts put together without much focus on originality Your car is in the upper left and it shows that the clamp has aluminum blocks like that used in 69 and the bracket appears to have been made for those style of attachments. In contrast the lower right picture below shows a factory 68 mount. The clamps/bracket and attachment hardware are different between the two

Think this is where some of the other play is coming from in your demonstration

Looks like now (if you haven't already) is a good time to pick up a copy of the assembly manual that covers this area or a shop manual so that you can get all the correct parts, look at exploded views to see how all of this goes together and you can figure out what is not tight where it should be. We can only provide possibilities you have to do the work ;)

Again welcome to the site

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
+2, welcome to the site.

A service manual will aide in taking apart the column. The design is fairly common in all Ford fixed columns from about 1964 through to the introduction of the locking column (including 70's era pickups)

Since it is moving around so much, I would not be surprised if the end of the outer tube is broken. Remove the turn signal switch, remove the top plate next (two 7/16 head nuts) and slide these off. Whatever is wrong will be found rather easily at this point. You may wish to source another column or plan on some down-time if parts are needed.

I WOULD NOT drive this car with this problem as it is. I would consider this unsafe (perhaps possible for the wheel to fail to turn, could be dangerous)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Joshmcintosh

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
I appreciate the warm welcome! Yes, it's been newly acquired and I'm finding several unoriginal parts, some more obvious than others. I wasn't aware this was not a 68 mounting bracket but it is not allowing any play at all so the issue appears to be elsewhere... I have the manual and no experience with this yet so thought I'd fish for guidance first. Will be taking it apart next to see if I can find any loose parts. Very grateful for your input.