Author Topic: Now for something different. #1 Part II  (Read 12921 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Now for something different. #1 Part II
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »
Jeff just when you think you have it all figured out, I go and post this picture of my drag car - May 68 Dearborn Coupe RH rocker with the wire clip holes!

If you check I never wrote that this feature was not found on other years (don't think I have many 76 or 92 pictures to check though) Did use the term "later cars"  but that represented the type found in the second (bottom most in that post) example. But I was surprised in a different way when I ran across this period without the holes so followed that find a bit. This sometimes happens when someone here asks a question and I have to look through a few thousand pictures or more.

Yes I have pictures of 68 examples with the clip holes returning for some reason. Of course since the picture was posted for over a week some have jump head narrowing down the possibilities (years) already ; )

I did check my pictures and found the clip holes on 67-69's at this point. Pictures of 70s I found so far all had the tape over the rocker panels so can't see the holes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:10:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 12:20:39 AM »
Ok so back to the game.

Now the picture could be a 65 or a 67?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 12:35:29 AM »
Looks like the change was about Jan 66 at the plants. We can chance down the approx date at all plants in another thread if need be

Item #1- Identification - Passenger side rocker panel for coupe or fastback body
Application(s) - 64 1/2- through approx Dec 65/Jan 66 or 1967-69

ITEM #2

Item #2- Identification - _____________________  (Identification - What is it?    )
Application(s) - _______________________________ (Application - What year/years and models was it used on?)

Note - Not the wire but the body panel ;)

Answer the questions and we can narrow down what the vehicle could be and what it could not be.
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
It is a passenger seat pedestal.
65-68 coupe or fastback.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
^^^ +1
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
It is a passenger seat pedestal.
65-68 coupe or fastback.

Hmmm...... will have to check with the judge
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »
I am not sure but were the 64 1/2  seat pedestals open where the panel is on this one?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »
I am not sure but were the 64 1/2  seat pedestals open where the panel is on this one?

Though we wrap allot of details together in the 64 1/2 basket (not all were changed at the same time and at all plants) yes there is an early floor pan. Example from 5F07D1516xx below.   Anyone know when know when the transition from open to closed took place at any of the three plants?  Or an educated guess?

Of course this would reduce the application period for item #2

Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 06:32:51 AM »
looks like its got bucket seats as both seat bolt holes visible have 'track' marks... just like 98% of all early mustangs...

but is it common to have 2 screw holes on the outer side? my car didn't come with carpet, but it did have carpet under the screw in that location. is it just to hold the carpet in place or is there another purpose?
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 06:41:39 PM »
So no one has an idea of when the factories (any of them) changed from the early to the later seat risers on the closed cars?   So far we've got two of the 67-68 owners guessing but not a peep out of the early members   ::)

but is it common to have 2 screw holes on the outer side? my car didn't come with carpet, but it did have carpet under the screw in that location. is it just to hold the carpet in place or is there another purpose?

It's possible that the carpet has been replaced in the car and rather than locating the original hole the installer just punched another the second time.  only purpose I know of is to keep that end of the top section of carpet in place and in turn the one below.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:42:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:01 PM »
Latest I have a reference for with the holes under the seats is late June '64, Dearborn. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 12:27:26 AM »
Latest I have a reference for with the holes under the seats is late June '64, Dearborn.
[/quote
Now here is a guy that knows early cars!]

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
My 65 Dearborn Fastback driver side seat riser has a date stamp of 7/25.  They do not have the holes.  Approximate build date is September 2, 1964.

65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 02:32:23 AM »
My Oct 64 SJ car has the hole for the carpet screw. Is it possible this was prior to the carpet going underneath the sill plate to hold it down?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »
My Oct 64 SJ car has the hole for the carpet screw. Is it possible this was prior to the carpet going underneath the sill plate to hold it down?

Good chance, on cars that had carpet that went under the sill plate, the screw would have been installed prior to the plate but don't believe the screw was installed to hold in in preparation of the sill plate being installed. Consider that the screws were installed on cars where the carpet didn't go under the sill plate (much more fo a reason to have them in that situation) and on the inner side of the seats in some cars on both sides of the driveline tunnel. More likely IMHO just made sure everything stayed in place and helped the carpet hung the floor panels and keep the two carpet sections where they were meant to be
Jeff Speegle