Author Topic: GT 350 Hertz Car Headers - Color  (Read 1930 times)

Offline 6S1284

GT 350 Hertz Car Headers - Color
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
Were these black and not coated so they would naturally rust-

Thank you again -

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: GT 350 Hertz Car Headers - Color
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:14:43 AM »
65-66 headers were painted/coated with the high temp flat paint of the time.  Can chalk and turn ashy white sometimes over time at turns located closest to the heat source so right after the flange.

Would not say they naturally rust but if they were not completely painted, the paint flaked or burn off and or it was stored in a damp or humid area all would add to the chance of rusting.  I've had a set of unused freshly painted ones hanging around in an unheated or ACed garage and trailer for 20 plus years and no rust on the,
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »
65-66 headers were painted/coated with the high temp flat paint of the time.  Can chalk and turn ashy white sometimes over time at turns located closest to the heat source so right after the flange.

Would not say they naturally rust but if they were not completely painted, the paint flaked or burn off and or it was stored in a damp or humid area all would add to the chance of rusting.  I've had a set of unused freshly painted ones hanging around in an unheated or ACed garage and trailer for 20 plus years and no rust on the,

Thanks again Jeff... you are really helping me out.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
Know this is an older thread but figured I would add a series of pictures I posted elsewhere to this one rather than starting another in an effort to keep things neater and reduce the number of hits on the old search feature if you use it. Especially since they are connected to one another

Here are a few to assist with the discussion. Labeled each so discussing/referencing a particular one is easier ;)

Header #1

Header #2

Header #3

Header #4

Header #5

Header #6
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)