Author Topic: Same Newbie - few more resto questions for my 66 Hertz Car  (Read 3005 times)

Offline 6S1284

Same Newbie - few more resto questions for my 66 Hertz Car
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help to date. 

I see starter solenoids with Fomoco script and fomoco block letters.    Is one more correct than the other for San Jose?

What color paint dabs and where on the San Jose suspension.

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Same Newbie - few more resto questions for my 66 Hertz Car
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
I think the most likely solenoid for your car is the one marked 2701966 and a black body.  That was original on my 9/65 built car and yours is likely later than that.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
I think the most likely solenoid for your car is the one marked 2701966 and a black body.  That was original on my 9/65 built car and yours is likely later than that.

+1

From the Shelby VIN (not as accurate as using the Ford VIN)  one would guess that it was a Jan- Feb 66 car . But looking at other San Jose cars built around that point its most likely IMHO that the #2701966 FoMoCo in the block style. Of course if you want to be correct the date should be from approx Aug - Oct 65. Have seen a couple of them with no date and no vent for some reason

Later in the year you'll find the AUTOLITE C6AE relays being used and into 67 production.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
I agree with everyone else. I have seen the block/rectangle style starting even on the later '65 GT350s.

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
I'd like to bring up this thread again, due to my research on these solenoids.    The block Fomoco is currently on my  May build 66 Shelby.   It's acting
up and I knew I had another in my stash, however, it has its Fomoco in script.    I believe this is what the OP is asking about.

My question:   is the scripted fomoco solenoid also correct for my build date?  Pictured are the two I have.
Greg Z

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
My question:   is the scripted fomoco solenoid also correct for my build date?  Pictured are the two I have.

Guessing at your possible build date (since we don't have any part of your Ford vin to measure against ;) its still pretty easy. Its NOT the brown case one :) As mentioned above the rectangle version of the FoMoCo is the one we all seem to like for your cars time period assuming it fits what we suspect. I'm hoping your car was built very close to my wife's cars build date/period

And yes for that period it would have been too early to find an Autolite one in the system. For others, when we get into the Autolite period there were a number of different versions not often found nor seen before we start seeing the C7AF-11450-A  ones. These include the two versions of the C4AF-11450-A  and the C6AF-11450-A marked ones
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:18:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:32:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff!
Greg Z

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »
brown sealer should be placed on the top rivet for this time frame?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
Glyptal sealer was typically used throughout production .It is a reddish brown. Sometimes a little to none is seen and sometimes a lot. The sealer was put on from the inside of the housing and the rivet then was set. The reddish brown sealer would typically ooze out from around the sides. If you are adding this to make it look like it is coming out from around the rivet very little is needed. Less is more comes to mind. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
thanks bob👍

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
anybody(jeff) have pix of brown sealer?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
anybody(jeff) have pix of brown sealer?
Eastwood sells glyptal sealer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »

I have found it to be sort of a red oxide sort of color - between red and brown I would report

Have allot of pictures - Have an article I started a couple of years back but still have a couple of holes in the complete thing. Lots of versions and details.

These are not all the correct versions for a car from your time period just shown as examples for the sealant and its application

Here is an example

And a few NOS examples

NOTE: the zinc dichromate finish seen on this one is not IMHO typical  but it does show a version/example of the sealant. It happens to be a C6 metal bottom version only used in late 66 and early 67 so far

Jeff Speegle