Author Topic: 1968 mustang j code 302 with air near concours restoration value  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Rong1224

Just wondering what a 1968 base mustang with j code 302 with air conditioning is worth. Has deluxe interior package and is near concours restoration quality almost perfect car if that even exists I am interested in purchasing this car but would like to know value before making offer

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1968 mustang j code 302 with air near concours restoration value
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:26:07 AM »
'Near concours' sounds like someone's opinion.  Has the car been shown in MCA concours recently with judging sheets to show how it scored?  Without that, it's open to speculation.

Other info also factors into value like color combo, trans type, options.  What condition was the car before the restoration was done?  Major rust/sheet metal repair, accident repair?

If you're paying extra for concours condition, then the car ought to either have judging results to prove it or the car should be inspected by someone knowledgeable, preferably an MCA judge or someone familiar with judging standards.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Rong1224

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
I'm not sure if it has been judged by mca judge. It's probably more of a near concours car. Very very quality restoration was done in 2002. Car is all numbers matching. All body panes are original and floor pans are original. The asking price is 37,900 but there accepting best offer. It is located at volo auto museum in volo Ill. If you would like to glance at car it is online. To view. It's a 68 with diamond blue paint. Has j code 302. Thanks for your info👍

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
Took a quick look.  I can tell you the car would either score a low Bronze or no award in MCA concours driven class.  There are a lot of incorrect parts and finishes.  The entire engine bay and undercarriage would have to be completely disassembled and re-restored.

This car has standard interior, in your post you mentioned deluxe.  That's not a big hit on value, but deluxe obviously would be more desirable.

It looks like a nice, clean driver, but the price is reflective of a concours level car, which it clearly is not.  I would think somewhere in the $25-30k range would be more reasonable, but that's just a guess. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
Took a quick look.  I can tell you the car would either score a low Bronze or no award in MCA concours driven class.  There are a lot of incorrect parts and finishes.  The entire engine bay and undercarriage would have to be completely disassembled and re-restored.

This car has standard interior, in your post you mentioned deluxe.  That's not a big hit on value, but deluxe obviously would be more desirable.

It looks like a nice, clean driver, but the price is reflective of a concours level car, which it clearly is not.  I would think somewhere in the $25-30k range would be more reasonable, but that's just a guess.

+1, and I only glanced at a few photos. If I went any further I might deduct more on overall value than Charles did. I would say an MCA Gold Card judge would also quickly agree with our assessment.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Rong1224

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the Info. I'm not exactly looking for a concours restoration. But I do want a very nice clean mustang that's close to restored to factory that the average person wouldn't know the difference. On a scale from 1 to 4 ( 1 being concours )I'm probably looking for a 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 condition if that make sense. I just don't want to over pay for a car. Your expertise is greatly appreciated 👍

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
I think its safe to say if you are buying from a dealer that sells a lot of shiny cars, you are probably overpaying.

I think a bronze would be very generous, this is not a concours car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:56 PM »
I think a bronze would be very generous, this is not a concours car.

++1  Grey primer  Sorry light blue frame rails, rattle can spray on fuel lines, floor plugs ....

I'm not exactly looking for a concours restoration. But I do want a very nice clean mustang that's close to restored to factory that the average person wouldn't know the difference............

Not exactly a very high bar. Average person on the street  might, in this day and time would, might not even be able to recognize what a classic Mustang was and likely never even know a year or get within a three year guess.  To most people any old car with a paint job is a restored car no matter how much it has been modified.

For many Mustang owners if it has a pretty interior, a flashy paint job and a few stickers in the engine compartment that is a restored car to them. Just saying

BTW welcome to the site You will find this to be a tough crowd with solid expectations
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:02:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)