Author Topic: Correct thermostat housing casting number?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Morsel

Correct thermostat housing casting number?
« on: August 29, 2021, 05:59:29 PM »
Been looking through threads and can't find specifics, but which casting number would be correct for a thermostat housing for a February 66 San Jose K-Code, C5OE or C4OE, would think C5OE but seen threads that mention both numbers.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct thermostat housing casting number?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:25:57 PM »
Been looking through threads and can't find specifics, but which casting number would be correct for a thermostat housing for a February 66 San Jose K-Code, C5OE or C4OE, would think C5OE but seen threads that mention both numbers.

Thanks,

Jason
In the case of the 66 K code (engines built at the Cleveland plant) C5OE is correct.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 07:44:04 PM »
Been looking through threads and can't find specifics, but which casting number would be correct for a thermostat housing for a February 66 San Jose K-Code, C5OE or C4OE, would think C5OE but seen threads that mention both
Jason,
The Thermostat housing is dependent on the intake manifold. Per Mannel (Mustang & Ford Small Block - 1962-1969), pg E-6, a C5OE-8592-A casting number (and engineering number) with a "pocket" was introduced to match the intake manifold without a "pocket" for the thermostat. Previous to this, the "pocket" for the thermostat was in the intake manifold. You should fall within the group of intake manifolds (C6OE-9425-B casting number) without the pocket.
(How the hell are you. Survived?)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 07:53:02 PM »
Thanks guys, that's what I figured and I'm an idiot, should have looked in my Mannel book :)

And thanks for asking Jim, been well and still alive ;) Haven't been here except lurking because my engines been out of the car for a very long time being rebuilt, but now it's final assembly time and time to fix some small things while I'm doing it, so sure there will be more questions coming over the next couple months. Hopping to have her back driving in November and ready for next springs car shows and MCA events.

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior