Author Topic: Door plate....leave it? Or renew it?  (Read 587 times)

Offline tvtommy

Door plate....leave it? Or renew it?
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »

Greetings from a soon to be member of the OD class.

I ordered a new door plate for my '67 coupe. The original is still attached to the car, but looks a little beat up, and has a bit of over spray on it from a previous repaint. Is it frowned upon to change that plate?

Thanks in advance!

Tommy
'67 Lime Gold Coupe - Rescued in 2006
'65 Wimbledon White Convertible

Offline dave6768

Re: Door plate....leave it? Or renew it?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Certainly not.  Use the correct rivets to finish it off right.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »
Defiantly replace it. Keep the original in a safe place you will want it if you ever move up to a Concours driven class.
In OD you are only judged on quality, cleanliness and condition. I will stress you just can not clean too much.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:56:11 AM by ruppstang »

Offline Coralsnake

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
I will give you another point of view. Mainly because others may read this looking for advice. Some clubs and organizations frown on replacing tags. In my opinion, its especially egregious if you are changing codes. I can not see any reason for doing that. Again, my opinion, MCA has done a great disservice by saying its okay if the tag matches the car. Now, we are encouraging people to change what Ford originally did. I personally would rather see an original tag, than a shiny new tag any day. If you still want a new tag, you should have the original handy to confirm how Ford made it.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
I will give you another point of view. -  Some clubs and organizations frown on replacing tags.
I don't think there's an exception to an "unrestored" door data tag on Concourse classes.
In my opinion, its especially egregious if you are changing codes.
Agree.
Again, my opinion, MCA has done a great disservice by saying its okay if the tag matches the car. Now, we are encouraging people to change what Ford originally did.
That is the entire point of restorations, change. OK, not to "change" engine type, or color, but to "change" a bumper because of rust, etc.
Just taking a closer look at the word.
I personally would rather see an original tag, than a shiny new tag any day.
Which sort of defeats what restoration is.
If you still want a new tag, you should have the original handy to confirm how Ford made it.
Absolutely, especially for resale.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.