Author Topic: Steering Column  (Read 1963 times)

Offline IM4mohr

Steering Column
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
Hello,
I'm restoring a 67 SJ FB (Sept 66) and comparing the steering column to my 67 Metuchen Coupe.  The tube on the Coupe runs down to the steering box, while the tube is only half way down on the fastback.  Is the FB correct or was there something done to this that wasn't correct?  The FB was used as a parts car and I wonder if it was cannibalized? 

Offline 67gta289

Re: Steering Column
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »
I've got a 67 SJ FB from Dec 66.  The cover goes all the way to the box like your older model.  This particular design is a single long shaft that is actually part of the steering gear assembly.  The tube is installed over the shaft.  There is no rag joint in this design.

I think that all 64-66 are this way.  I thought that 67 was also, with the exception of the tilt wheel option.

With the tilt wheel, the design was modified to have a steering box with a short shaft, and the steering column had a separate shaft.  A rag joint joined the two.

It looks like yours is another variation, a non tilt separated shaft model with rag joint.  I have not seen one in a non tilt car in 67.

Since the ragjoint could provide a decrease in vibration, perhaps there was a change over to that design as the standard.  Not sure why yours got that when built 3 months before mine.  Stranger things have happened.

Perhaps yours originally had a tilt, and a previous owner removed it and installed a different unit.  Perhaps from a 68?  Do you have a Marti?

In later years they went to the collapsable column design and moved the key from the dash to the column, all safety features.  All of those have a short shaft steering box.

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
John's answer covers most of the points: solid shaft steering columns for most of 67, except for any tilt-column Mustangs. Additonally, rag joint columns were used late in the 67 production year (April/May, as solid shaft columns were used up by the factories) and of course for all tilt column Mustangs.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
IIRC, the second pic is the style used with the collapsible (non-tilt) steering column, which I believe started in the '68 production year.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline IM4mohr

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
My Marti report doesn't mention tilt, but I have no way of knowing if the column was swapped out.   Just want to get the retoration 'right" the 1st time, or as close as possible.

Jeff-what have you seen with SJ cars?  Does this look right for a Sept 66 SJ car? 

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »
Here is a pic of my 67 with tilt.  The tube sticks through the firewall, looks similar the solid shaft model, except cut short to make room for the rag joint. 

I would restate that IMHO a 67 (pre April as Pete says) without tilt would have a long shaft gear box with tube that runs the full length.

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660