Author Topic: Front decal for an early 65 Convertible?  (Read 846 times)

Offline cgoodson

Front decal for an early 65 Convertible?
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:45:27 PM »
Hello all,

I am new here and have bought an unrestored 65 289 Convertible, Dearborn car, Build date of October 19th. I am working on getting this back to concourse correct as it was in 65. The air cleaner and snorkel has been repainted and I cannot see any signs of old decals due to that.  Should I have the front decal on the air cleaner? Should it have any other decals besides the checkered 289 on the lid? Vin number is : 5F08C328405

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: Front decal for an early 65 Convertible?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:47:26 AM »
First welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of your questions answered here, and many already have. Your specific question's answers are yes to FRONT, and there are two decals on the lid, the 289 engine 2V version, and an Autolite Spark Plug decal, although "some" Dearborn cars had a rectangular Autolite on the LH side.
Lurk some, use the search feature (on decals), post some pictures, enjoy the company.
A hint, always post your car's VIN like you did. It helps.
Jim
I got an "e-mail" that said fix it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:40:58 AM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline cgoodson

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »
Thank for for the welcoming, I have found tremendous knowledge so far from reading posts on here. Any insight into why "some" had the rectangular Autolite on the LH side versus the curved decal on the lid? I have bought bought the front decal, looking to see which Autolite I should purchase for this. Thanks for the help!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »
The rectangle decal found on the air cleaner base on the drivers side appears to be the AUTOLITE one sometimes found (in "square" or curved form)   

Examples from same plant before and after your likely build period

5F08C272xxx

5F07C70135x

5F07C78069x

Four year old discussion related to the FRONT decal
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7366.0

And welcome to the site. Hope you find it useful in your concours related needs and projects
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cgoodson

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
Thank you for the pictures and I appreciate all the help in this, I have ordered the Autolite decal as in your pictures for the side. You guys are the greatest.