Author Topic: Dash loom  (Read 843 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Dash loom
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
I'm curious if the loom behind the instruments in all K cars with February 1965 assembly dates (San Jose) included a connection/s for a rally pac--even in cars that came off the line without a rally pac.  The reason I'm asking is my K car, which I've had for more than 20 years, does not have a rally pac installed, but there are faint "witness" marks on the steering column that seem to indicate it might have had a rally pac at some juncture in the past.  I thought one way to confirm whether or not it came with one off the line would be to remove the instrument cluster and inspect the loom for a rally pac connection.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Ron

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Dash loom
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »
there is no specific rally pac connection. it connected to the existing wiring. most likely those witness marks on the column are from an old tach installation.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
I can't answer for Mustang with that early a build, but on my May 65 GT, the pink resistance wire that feeds the coil has a male-female connection that provides the inline tach signal for the Rally Pac from the coil.
Clock power comes from a hot all the time connector in the harness that is used as the door activated courtesy lights. There's a special "T" connecting Rally Pac harness lead used for this.
The Rally Pac lights get their power from a triple female connector that gets power from the ignition switch dimmer circuit. it also feeds the radio light. The feed wire for the dimmer circuit is blue with a red tracer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
I can't answer for Mustang with that early a build, but on my May 65 GT, the pink resistance wire that feeds the coil has a male-female connection that provides the inline tach signal for the Rally Pac from the coil.
Clock power comes from a hot all the time connector in the harness that is used as the door activated courtesy lights. There's a special "T" connecting Rally Pac harness lead used for this.
The Rally Pac lights get their power from a triple female connector that gets power from the ignition switch dimmer circuit. it also feeds the radio light. The feed wire for the dimmer circuit is blue with a red tracer.
Jim
That's valid for all 64.5 to 66 Mustangs.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
Jim:  Many thanks for that detailed explanation!  It will be a great help!  Ron...