Author Topic: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Door Latch Finish ?  (Read 580 times)

Offline cmfuser01

1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Door Latch Finish ?
« on: June 15, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
I'm thinking of replacing both the driver and passenger side door latches. Given the likelihood of finding a pristine set of originals in short order is pretty low I was looking at repros. Some appear to be maybe zinc plated (bright) and others appear to be cad. plated (gold-ish). What would be the correct finish?

And while we're at it what about the striker plate finish?

btw - If anyone has a pristine set of originals they'd be willing to part with please get in touch with me. I can see some distinct differences between the repros and originals and would very much rather originals.

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Door Latch Finish ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:31:58 AM »
Your door latch assemblies "should" be cad plated, or dull zinc. I would not recommend replating them as the heat and chemicals of the plating process makes the springs brittle and so far I've not figured a way to put the springs back in place (getting them off is no problem). There's also the rubber bumpers to consider. Nobody want's to reproduce them. Maybe the Eastwood "cold zinc process" might work.
The striker is cad or dull zinc as are the shims. Those are easy to replate.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Door Latch Finish ?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »
I had some plated last year and it is real tricky because the back plate is galvanized and the body zinc plated. Also as Jim said you must be carful with the springs. I was happy with the results, I'll see if I still have some pictures.