Author Topic: Drive Shaft markings  (Read 326 times)

Offline Herman

Drive Shaft markings
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
I recently picked up an original drive shaft from a 66 automatic car and would like to get some information on the markings. 
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline Herman

Re: Drive Shaft markings
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Unfortunately these are the best photos l have
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline rrenz

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
Cant really report on what the markings actually mean after doing many hours of research during the restoration of mine. I also have a 66 automatic with markings that were same in color however completely different in location from this. I suppose every worker had their own "thing". One thing that is cool are the numbers which were stamped on the steel tubing. I believe they got 3 drive shafts from one piece of stock so only one of three pieces had the numbers present. Perhaps someone else may have some more insight.
1966 C Code NJ Springtime yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st

Offline Herman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I was able to get a better photo of the yellow part number on the drive shaft.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
What is the approximate height of the numbers?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
What is the approximate height of the numbers?
That's the supplier's stock number, not a Ford part number, and not all drive shafts came with the supplier's stock number. The drive shafts were cut to length from a 20 foot long tube to make a raw shaft so if yours doesn't have the supplier markings, don't add them. (On the other hand, if the numbers look nasty, remove them - Goof-Off works.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
That's the supplier's stock number, not a Ford part number, and not all drive shafts came with the supplier's stock number. The drive shafts were cut to length from a 20 foot long tube to make a raw shaft so if yours doesn't have the supplier markings, don't add them. (On the other hand, if the numbers look nasty, remove them - Goof-Off works.)
Jim

Mine did but I can't find the picture of the measurements I took of the height just location. And want to order the right stencil kit. I think I posted in another thread that mine was 11W at the end
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
Chris,
Those marking are NOT required.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
Those marking are NOT required.

Especially since they were not on all drivelines. As we understand from a Ford worker from San Jose one out of three would have had the tube ID stencil
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Herman

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 01:38:51 AM »
Especially since they were not on all drivelines. As we understand from a Ford worker from San Jose one out of three would have had the tube ID stencil

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Funny thing is both my of cars had the stencils and now this one.