Author Topic: '66(San Jose) 289 A code throttle linkage setup  (Read 4405 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '66(San Jose) 289 A code throttle linkage setup
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
OK, wait a second here, I just went through this accelerator linkage setup on my automatic trans 66 HiPo, and everyone was telling me my linkage was setup wrong previously. So there's a different linkage setup for and automatic verses a 4 speed? I originally had it setup similar to the the top picture on my C6ZF-F 4100 carb,..................

Jason I don't think we've agreed to an answer but at this point we're investigating and discussing  the possibility it seems. Its takes a while for us to collect documentation/examples and changes to "common knowledge" take time to digest and consider.

The benefit of a site like this is the exchange and honest discussion of new findings and possibilities. Not all pass the test and don't expect all to be received quickly.

Not sure of the history of how your car got that arrangement so I think we need to see if we can find some more original/unrestored examples to compare. Not an easy task since most engine pictures are taken with the air cleaner in place.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
Jason I don't think we've agreed to an answer but at this point we're investigating and discussing  the possibility it seems. Its takes a while for us to collect documentation/examples and changes to "common knowledge" take time to digest and consider.

The benefit of a site like this is the exchange and honest discussion of new findings and possibilities. Not all pass the test and don't expect all to be received quickly.

Not sure of the history of how your car got that arrangement so I think we need to see if we can find some more original/unrestored examples to compare. Not an easy task since most engine pictures are taken with the air cleaner in place.

Haha, totally understand, I just saw this and it was such a coincidence since I was literally changing it a couple days ago based on some feedback I received on my car, so it was just a question like, "so it is a possibility the way I had it"?

But obviously I agree that I've seen so many examples of the way I have it now (bracket and spring to the linkage arm as shown in the second picture) that I was sure it must be setup incorrectly the way I had it, so I changed it. Obviously the way I have it now is a safer bet and more common. But I just found it curious that it was possible the way it was setup when I received the car. And like you said, who knows what was done to it and if a mechanic at some point adjusted and moved the spring like the first picture.

Anyway, I was just confirming and making sure I understood what was being said in the thread, and it sounds like it's more a case of "the jury is still out".

Thanks as always Jeff,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
Jason,
Here's the throttle linkage on my San Jose Oct 65 GT K Fastback. The only differences between any AT and MT are the dashpot and the kickdown arm from the accelerator pedal arm to the transmission. Everything else is the same as any 4100.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
Anyone else notice the bottom edge of the throttle shaft end plate (for lack of a better term)?

So far the automatic examples have a round hole at the bottom and the manuals don't. Maybe its the angle of the pictures but we have a number of pictures posted so far from multiple angles

IF so why did the maker make the difference and provide a hole/loop for an attachment? 

Just discussion possibilities and observations ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:10:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »
Jason,
Here's the throttle linkage on my San Jose Oct 65 GT K Fastback. The only differences between any AT and MT are the dashpot and the kickdown arm from the accelerator pedal arm to the transmission. Everything else is the same as any 4100.
Jim

Yes, this is exactly how mines setup now, looks exactly the same...

Thanks for the images...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Morsel

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »
Anyone else notice the bottom edge of the throttle shaft end plate (for lack of a better term)?

So far the automatic examples have a round hole at the bottom and the manuals don't. Maybe its the angle of the pictures

IF so why did the maker make the difference and provide a hole/loop for an attachment?

I just pulled these carb images from mustangtek.com... These are both 4100 HiPo carbs, the shinny one is an automatic (C6ZF-F) and the older looking one is a manual (C6ZF-C), and both have the hole at the bottom throttle shaft. Now I don't know if it's different on other carbs, I did notice that one picture in an earlier part of the thread showed what you are talking about.

Also, the way I had it originally with the spring going to that hole on the throttle end plate worked great, so there was no performance issues with that setup, actually made more sense than the spring to the linkage arm IMO ;)

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »
Lets remind ourselves that the focus is a 66 A code  just for clarification and in case this discussion is taking a new path ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
Lets remind ourselves that the focus is a 66 A code  just for clarification and in case this discussion is taking a new path ;)

Yes, agreed, sorry for the thread direction change :)

Jason

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
The shop manual offers some clues (it validates the clip discussed earlier) and seems to imply a very simple 1 spring attachment like Jim's post (Post #18). I've scanned the page I referenced.

Ron
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:24:54 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 12:43:00 AM »
The shop manual offers some clues (it validates the clip discussed earlier) and seems to imply a very simple 1 spring attachment like Jim's post (Post #18). I've scanned the page I referenced.

Problem is IMHO and in experiences the shop manual is full of generic pictures for many of the repairs.

For all - please do not take this discussion as the final word and alter your car. We are discussing possibilities and findings nothing more IMHO at this juncture. We do this all the time off line, in person, through emails  and in phone calls. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »

So far the automatic examples have a round hole at the bottom and the manuals don't. Maybe its the angle of the pictures but we have a number of pictures posted so far from multiple angles

Keep in mind that the throttles shafts can be interchanged when rebuilding. So long as they are from the same type 4100, the 1.08 or 1.12 . I can easily see where someone would swap out the throttle shaft for one that has better plating/condition.

1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »
Keep in mind that the throttles shafts can be interchanged when rebuilding. So long as they are from the same type 4100, the 1.08 or 1.12 . I can easily see where someone would swap out the throttle shaft for one that has better plating/condition.

That's why I posted to new carbs not rebuilt or factory re-manufactured ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
Sorry, missed that... :o
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
Had an opportunity to actually go out and look last night because I wasn't sure and was curious, especially about that lower hole being discussed.
We also have the same setup as Jim's #18 posting. We have that lower hole (the item I couldn't remember for certain). I think I've rebuilt this original carb at least 4 times over the years and I know I've never changed the configuration regards to bracket, spring and where it attaches.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options