Author Topic: Seam sealer process help - 69 Dearborn  (Read 1611 times)

Offline ruger

Seam sealer process help - 69 Dearborn
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »
Hi,  I am at the seam sealing process on my 69 Dearborn sportsroof.  I've epoxied everywhere so now I am headed forward with seam sealer.  In the trunk area I am thinking I can apply the sound deadener on the inner quarters, wheel well and quarter seams, wheel well and trunk floor pan seams, tail panel seams, and seams where the tank will sit.  I have read some other threads but cannot find an answer to a couple of questions.   
1.  Should I apply Spectrum Sludge to all seams and also to the inner quarter panels?
2.  If only applying Sludge to the seams what should be applied to the inner quarter panels?
3.  After applying the Sludge (brush) should I epoxy over it again or would the paint color go directly over the Sludge?   I am planning an epoxy sealer coat just before paint. 
4.  Finally,   is Spectrum Sludge the answer to all of my exterior and interior seam sealing?  I am hoping to get all of the seams including the wheel wells engine bay area finished with Sludge.

Thanks to all of you for any help you can offer. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:37:15 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Seam sealer process help - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
Hi,  I am at the seam sealing process on my 69 Dearborn sportsroof.  I've epoxied everywhere so now I am headed forward with seam sealer.  In the trunk area I am thinking I can apply the sound deadener on the inner quarters, wheel well and quarter seams, wheel well and trunk floor pan seams, tail panel seams, and seams where the tank will sit.  I have read some other threads but cannot find an answer to a couple of questions.   

1.  Should I apply Spectrum Sludge to all seams and also to the inner quarter panels?

It worked for me and many others - your choice as there are other products and processes. Believe using the Sludge cost less and also works just as good

2.  If only applying Sludge to the seams what should be applied to the inner quarter panels?

Others have used product such as Wurth, Lord Fusor ... but remember half the battle is learning how to apply a product as it is having a usable product With many of the spray on products you will also need a special applicator to spray the product from. Sure you have read in other threads the experiences others have had with the other products

3.  After applying the Sludge (brush) should I epoxy over it again or would the paint color go directly over the Sludge?   I am planning an epoxy sealer coat just before paint.[/quote]

That is what I was able to do. Epoxy primer then sealer then straight to paint

4.  Finally,   is Spectrum Sludge the answer to all of my exterior and interior seam sealing?  I am hoping to get all of the seams including the wheel wells engine bay area finished with Sludge. [/quote]

Interior yes. On the exterior you will want to use different products just like Ford did. In some areas a self leveling paintable sealer filler would be more appropriate IMHO Areas like the cowl to side panels or A pillars down to rocker the Sludge would work. just depends on what seam and where  IMHO 

Front wheel well sound deadener or spray seam seal could be done with the Sludge. For the sound deadener for the front wheel wells will need to be sprayed and top coated since it will not be covered by paint so you'll need to get a light spray product to make sure the final look and color is correct. Seams get painted over so those would be fine.

You might be able to get away since its a 69 Dearborn with sealing the firewall after attaching all the right parts with the Sludge - but never tried it for that 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
Thank you very much Jeff.  This gets me started in the correct direction.  Thanks again.  I may need to reply to this same thread with future questions concerning the seam sealing process.
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
Thank you very much Jeff.  This gets me started in the correct direction.  Thanks again.  I may need to reply to this same thread with future questions concerning the seam sealing process.

I guess you have the other thread and article book marked also that includes pictures (think the links in the thread likely need fixing :(  both showing application and practices I followed on that 69 Dearborn restoration
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruger

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
Thanks Jeff,  this entire site is very informative.  I am sure I can get all of my questions answered here.  I try to search first then ask.  A lot of the pictures seem to be missing on other threads.  Maybe I need to update my computer.  Thanks for all of your help.
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
Thanks Jeff,  this entire site is very informative.  I am sure I can get all of my questions answered here.  I try to search first then ask.  A lot of the pictures seem to be missing on other threads.  Maybe I need to update my computer.  Thanks for all of your help.

Not a problem on your end. If you read a recent post in the General Discussion area about Photo Bucket it will explain. Plenty of posts around the word on just about every forum are complaining of the photo storage/sharing site cutting the cord on third party posting/linking unless you pay about $400 per years. A change in the rules just posted and enacted a few days ago without warning

Will be working (for the next year) I would guess for a while fixing them. Tying to up laod those pictures to this site and relinking all of those threads and post to fix the pictures rather than lessening the value and impact of those prior threads
Jeff Speegle