Author Topic: Decal Placement - May 69 Metuchen 428 SCJ  (Read 2350 times)

Offline qman

Decal Placement - May 69 Metuchen 428 SCJ
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
I'm nearing the point where I'll need to order the decals for my 1969 SCJ sports roof.  The car is a May built Metuchen car and I'm trying to restore it to Concours driven standards.  I've read in other posts that buying the complete decal package is not always the best idea so I'm asking the following questions thinking these decals and locations would pertain to my car.

1. Tire Pressure decal goes on drivers side door just below the Latch?
2. Jack decal goes on inside trunk lid above spare tire?  Should be appropriate for full size spare?
3. Service spec decal goes on left hand side shock tower?
4. Engine ID sticker passenger side head on front?
5. Engine Timing Decal on drives side valve cover on outer surface below breather?
6. Air cleaner cubic inch decal on air cleaner lid?

Are there other decals that I should purchase?  Are there any grease pencil marking that I should replicate that would be appropriate for the date and plant where the car was built?
As always, thanks in advance for the help.
Qman
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:52:30 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Decal Placement - May 69 Metuchen 428 SCJ
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
This one ?
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Decal Placement - May 69 Metuchen 428 SCJ
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »
1. Tire Pressure decal goes on drivers side door just below the Latch?

No above the latch driver side door For the tire pressure decal your looking for the D0AZ- D it appears

2. Jack decal goes on inside trunk lid above spare tire? 

Should be appropriate for full size spare?

Of course since the car likely didn't come with a space saver and I think you indicated that it was not a Mach I

3. Service spec decal goes on left hand side shock tower?

Not normally on a car built when you indicate though there are a couple of examples from very late May with it there. More likely the inner fender panel drivers side

4. Engine ID sticker passenger side head on front?

Yes

5. Engine Timing Decal on drives side valve cover on outer surface below breather?

6. Air cleaner cubic inch decal on air cleaner lid?

Is this a ram air or non-ram air car?

Are there other decals that I should purchase?[/quote]

- Battery inspection decal as Brian posted but don't buy the filled out one since its filled out as a 69 Dearborn car would have been done

- For the trunk you'll need the 1966 dated Federal highway decal also Shown above in trunk lid picture

- Air cleaner filter replacement parts decal AUTOLITE  base on drivers side at about 5-4 o'clock

- Jack decal with rounded corners

Are there any grease pencil marking that I should replicate that would be appropriate for the date and plant where the car was built?

Not grease pencil since these would typically be covered by paint so not very visible if at all on a finished car. Might want to consider the second rotation number as one that you might choose to reproduce. Dont' know that you have uncovered that number during the restoration though

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:35:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)