Author Topic: 68 San Jose 390GT alternator wiring picture  (Read 851 times)

Offline pnsy56shop

• Silver Level Subscriber
68 San Jose 390GT alternator wiring picture
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of an 390gt alternator backside. I'm looking to see how the alt.wire are routed and taped.
1968 GT/CS S Code built March San Jose
C6 Automatic, Wimbledon White, Deluxe Ivy Gold interior
It's better to learn from other people's mistakes not your own

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 San Jose 390GT alternator wiring picture
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
Sorry can't help. All of the pictures I had show the alternator had been replaced. On others the Thermactor and other things got in the way. Might look toward 68 San Jose with other size engines since the same workers routed the wires on those and the guys that put the looms on the alternator at the sub assembly location in the plant were the same guys

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:36:55 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of an 390gt alternator backside. I'm looking to see how the alt.wire are routed and taped.
I believe that there is a illustration in the charging section of the shop manual.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline pnsy56shop

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
Thank guy's, I looked at the shop manual charging and also found a picture on Dead nuts on" but it's of an alt. with dog bone harness.
The harness I have is from Alloy Metal Products 67-68 big block w/o tac. has 4 wires and the shop manual shows 5 wires for the 65 amp alt. Should the harness be a dog bone style for a 390 engine?
1968 GT/CS S Code built March San Jose
C6 Automatic, Wimbledon White, Deluxe Ivy Gold interior
It's better to learn from other people's mistakes not your own

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
I think the dogbone piece is correct for 68s, the other style is earlier...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
I have always thought the dogbone type was for all of 68 but wouldn't bet my life on it now.  I have seen a few early examples that have me second guessing what I have always thought.They looked  unmolested but wasn't for sure and have seen just enough to suspect but not to confirm in my mind.  If it was the individual boot type it would only be for a very early68  production. At the very least the dogbone type is correct for the vast majority of production .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
Thank guy's, I looked at the shop manual charging and also found a picture on Dead nuts on" but it's of an alt. with dog bone harness.
The harness I have is from Alloy Metal Products 67-68 big block w/o tac. has 4 wires and the shop manual shows 5 wires for the 65 amp alt. Should the harness be a dog bone style for a 390 engine?

So you need a "No Tach" harness wiring picture, correct?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments