Author Topic: 71 Converitble Mystery Bracket  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Mike.Griese

71 Converitble Mystery Bracket
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »
I am restoring a 71 convertible and have the body stripped and ready for block sanding.  During the stripping process, we uncovered this bracket in the rear corner of the right front wheel well.

http://mikegriese.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album09&id=dsc_0181

The car is on a rotisserie and the picture was taken from the bottom of the car.

It appears to be original due to its shape and spot welding.  I have owned the car since 1980 and have not done any work in this area, so it has not been cut off during my ownership.  I bought the car from an old maid schoolteacher who probably didn't have any work done in this area either.  There isn't a similar bracket on the drivers side.  I have looked at a few other cars (both convertibles and non) and none have had this particular bracket.

What should I do with this?  Leave it as is?  Remove it?  Repair it?  If the answer is repair, what was the original shape?

--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 71 Converitble Mystery Bracket
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:40:08 AM »
Definitely looks original, spot welds like that are hard to reproduce.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »
Isn't that the support between the frame rail and torque box that has been hacked out? Bottom right of the picture

If so you'll need to find a donor and replace it

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike.Griese

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »
Is there supposed to be one on the driver's side too?  There is no sign of it at all over there.
--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
Is there supposed to be one on the driver's side too?  There is no sign of it at all over there.

No good pictures of that area from a 71 convertible but have them on 71 coupes, sportroofs and Cougar hardtops. Would suspect that Ford might have needed them even more on convertibles or maybe that is why (a worker installed them on your car by mistake) they cut them off at the factory.

You will need to find another 71 convertible to confirm - but hopefully we have aimed you in the right direction ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike.Griese

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:52:55 PM »
I have seen one other set of photos from a 71 convertible on another forum and that car did not have the bracket or the leftovers. 
--
Mike

'71 Convertible