Author Topic: Paint for lower rear grille on 1967  (Read 11656 times)

Offline Legendary Ford

• Legendary Ford Magazine
Paint for lower rear grille on 1967
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
We're doing a story in Legendary Ford on the lower grille install for 1967 and I was wondering if there was any consensus on what color is best--both in spray can and single stage enamel out of a spray gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Ford
Editor,
Legendary Ford Magazine

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint for lower rear grille on 1967
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:45:53 AM »
Hi Jeff - great to see you here -

Don't know of anyone that has put the rear grill dark argent in a can and of course with all the reformulations no telling if the old formula will produce the desired results.

Remember original rear grill cars with the dark gray panels has an additional code on the door tag in the paint section - like other years. Again it was the familiar "5"  Original code from 67 was PPG/Ditzler #32600 Color was referred to as Dark Gray Poly

Also the tail light panel behind the grill was painted before the panel was installed. Here is an original example I shot about 20-25 yrs ago

So few cars came this way - anyone else deal with this?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:51:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:01:12 AM »
Very nice jeff. I did find the color under the panel on a repaint, but assumed a past owner did it. Any overspray on the trunk floor or was it masked behind the tail lights when it was done?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:13:54 PM by thefordshow »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:12:36 AM »
Very nice jeff. I did find the color under the panel on a repaint, but asumed the a past owner did it. Any overspray on the trunk floor or was it masked behind the tail lights when it was done?

Believe the tail light panel was masked off behind the taillight panel much like many of the Boss 302's were (masking tape or simply hanging a sheet of paper)

Also like the Boss cars we would expect some overspray from above (painting the upper trunk lip edge so a fair amount - to good application of color on the upper areas on the trunk latch support fading down to nothing IMHO would be anticipated

Also while were on the subject the end caps and trunk lid  areas inside the anodized trim strip was also painted the Dark gray color also - believe these would have been done off the car.

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
Jeff,.I would assume painting with in the rear trim was on coupes and convertibles only? I'm going to add this option to the wife's S code convertible, info should help, thanks. I found this pic, also showing the dark gray color between the panel and trunk lid.    Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »
Jeff,.I would assume painting with in the rear trim was on coupes and convertibles only?...................

Nope I've seen the same pattern on fastbacks - just what I've seen

I found this pic, also showing the dark gray color between the panel and trunk lid.    Chris

Chris - where did the picture come from. Have seen some even painted body color but they were preproduction car so those pictures IMHO would not be good examples of what was done
Jeff Speegle

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
The pic is from "Mustang does it!"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
The pic is from "Mustang does it!"

That might explain that picture - IMHO 

Mr Miller seemed to like to use two resources back when he did that and other books. One was sales brochures (they often include plenty of things that didn't make it into production) and cars he found sitting around Los Angeles. This seems to be his practice for cars that were not let really being restored. On his other books (example the Early Ford V8's) He would find cars at (somewhat) local shows to illustrate the models and years.  We had a number of cars used in his books during those early years

If you notice in that picture even the taillight panel behind the grill was not painted - May have just been added to that car from another or the paint detail (of the body) was left off during a repaint.The car IMHO was not an untouched car as its the same one used on pg 146 (appears to have Cougar wheels) and on pg 180. In those pictures you can see the car has been repainted from the fender stripe design

Wow - haven't gotten that book out in a long time ;)  Will ahve to look through it again to see what it has to offer in other areas
Jeff Speegle

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »
That was my first "mustang book" book back in the late 70's and may have been the first book on the market of its kind.[Looking back, a ton of mistakes, but also some interesting items]. Today a book comes out about every month it would seem. I don't think the car on page 146 is the same car. The car on page 153 doesn't have the pin strip on the 1/4 extension. Because none of the photos are factory/assembly line photos,we'll never know just how accurate they are, just found it interesting that this car would have the area painted between the panel and trunk lid back then, when 99.9% of the ones you see today have just the panel treatment painted.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »
I have a 1967 GTA Mustang Fastback S Code from San Jose and sold in LA. I have a pair of tail light panels I would like to install.

Would the dealer have panted them black or the color of the car. If black, everything insisted the chrome trim area. I have seen this done so many different ways.

Thank you
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
They could have been painted body color or dark argent.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
Search can be your friend...http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=168.msg731#msg731

Note that the door tag color will not match if you paint it dark gray poly.  The two tone paint would have the number 5 (if I recall) after the primary body color.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
Yes I have read if it came from the factory and it was a dark agent. The door tag would be different. If you would of have had the dealer install one, what could have been the options. Could of it have even been a dealer installed option?
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:50 AM »
Theoretically a dealer would install anything as long as they could make a buck.  I don't see why they could not order up the parts, and have their body shop do the install, including paint, any color.  I would recommend sticking with either body color or the dark gray as shown in the previous posted hyperlink.  If you are going to show at an MCA event, expect to lose points if you go with dark gray due to the door tag mismatch.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »
thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Travis Waters

Mine -