Author Topic: How many 71 Mustangs came with 15 inch sport wheel covers?  (Read 3824 times)

How many 71 Mustangs came with 15 inch sport wheel covers?
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:39:21 AM »
How many 71 Mustangs came with 15 inch sport wheel covers?

I know the sport wheel covers were available on the 71 Boss 351, but were they available on other models too in 1971?
Anyone ever see a Marti Report that listed them as 1 of ? for 1971?

I checked the Mustang by the numbers book (1967-1973) and they are not listed as an option for 1971, but I know they were.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: How many 71 Mustangs came with 15 inch sport wheel covers?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
Since 15" wheels were not an option on regular Mustangs that year I can't see where they would have been used

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »
How about on Boss 351?
Were they no cost option? Standard? Any production numbers known?

I always thought it was odd when AMT released their Boss 351 model years ago and used the sport wheel covers. Never knew that Boss 351 had them until that release, and was surprised a model company went that route since so few of the cars built did.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:44:15 AM by Wanted: factory Calypso Coral 70 convert project »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »
How about on Boss 351?

Don't know - you'll need to hunt up an option list for those cars

Were they no cost option? Standard? Any production numbers known?

Sure you can hire Kevin Marti to run a report if your really interested in the results

I always thought it was odd when AMT released their Boss 351 model years ago and used the sport wheel covers. Never knew that Boss 351 had them until that release, and was surprised a model company went that route since so few of the cars built did.

Don't think I would consider a model car company a reliable resource for production information ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
Sure you can hire Kevin Marti to run a report if your really interested in the results

Don't think I would consider a model car company a reliable resource for production information ;)

1. I looked in the Marti book and didn't see the sport wheel covers listed as an option for 1971. in 1970 Marti book lists the styled steel wheels as an option, though those were no cost on mach 1, so I was surprised not to see the sports listed for 71. Maybe the 71 facts book would have that info.

2. Yes, I could pay Marti to look, but I don't want to know that badly, just a casual inquiry. Besides, when I wanted to pay to have research done a few years back to find Marti Report for my friend's 67 Shelby that he bought new and later sold, the hourly price was astronomical and they wouldn't set a limit for how much research it would take. I thought that was strange because I knew what dealership it was sold from, and there really couldn't have been that many green 67 Shelbys sold there.

I was kind of turned off by their reports, anyway, when I got the Deluxe for my dad's 70 mach 1 that he purchased brand new and the dealership was wrong on the Deluxe Marti. If I hadn't known the actual dealership, I would have never discovered the mistake.

3. Of course I am not relying on the model company, that is why I posted here. Kind of figured someone would have had the sports turn up on their Boss 351 Marti, and I actually figured for sure that someone would know if they were no cost option or not. I did learn that no 15 inch wheels came on other 71 Mustangs, so at least I know that now.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
A car could have been sold to one dealership, then traded to another in an exchange when a customer wanted a particular car that the 1st dealership didn't have but the 2nd did.  They still do this all the time.  The Marti report would only know about the 1st dealership, or where the car was delivered by Ford.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »
A car could have been sold to one dealership, then traded to another in an exchange when a customer wanted a particular car that the 1st dealership didn't have but the 2nd did.  They still do this all the time.  The Marti report would only know about the 1st dealership, or where the car was delivered by Ford.

Nope. Emminger and window sticker both are dealer he bought it from.

Offline roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
To the best of my recollection only Boss 351's and 429 SCJ models came with 15" wheels in 71. All other models were equipped with 14" wheels. While I'll be the first to admit that I question the completeness of the options list I have on 71's I don't see sport wheel covers listed until the 72 model year. Mach I's also had 15 inch wheels.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:12:53 PM by roadrunner »

Offline TUMBLEPORT SVT

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43:16 PM »
The only car in 1971 to use 15 inch sport covers was the Boss 351. MACH 1 used 14 inch wheels with sport covers as an option .