Author Topic: 69 Horn Mounting Hardware  (Read 1063 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69 Horn Mounting Hardware
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
There was a discussion that started over on one of the other forums and as part of the discussion I did a survey through my collection of pictures. While I was at it (since the subject has come up a number of times over the years) I went through all of the plants and this time noted if the cars had AC or an oil cooler or neither thinking that maybe one or more of these options would affect the workers choice when it came time to bolt in the horns.  AC installation means that an additional bracket be installed between the horn and the radiator support while the oil cooler option or for 69 Boss 302 they are just mounted as if the cars were going to be equipped so with a reinforcement on the back side of the radiator support to support the additional weight of two holes on that side.

My findings were as follows.  I limited my survey to only unrestored cars and those that showed no apparent signs of removal or possible replacement. Of course over time and possible maintenance false positives can be created but in total I think we can see or find patterns indicating typical or normal methods that were used

69 Dearborn
Non-AC Non Drag Pak - 91% Installed from engine side
w/ Drag Pak - 100% Installed from the grill side
w/ AC - 75% Installed from engine side

69 San Jose 
Non-AC Non Drag Pak -95% Installed from the grill side
w/ AC - 67% (Only 3 Total not really enough) Installed from engine side

69 NJ
Non-AC Non Drag Pak - 81% Installed from engine side
w/ Drag Pak - 100% Installed from the grill side
w/ AC - Mixed and not enough samples

Some pictures to illustrate

Dearborn - No AC or No Oil Cooler

San Jose - No AC or No Oil Cooler

Dearborn - With AC

San Jose - With AC

Dearborn - With Oil Cooler

Will be following up in the next week or so a similar survey of 70 Mustangs to see what that may uncover
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

Re: 69 Horn Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Looks like pic 4 don't have horn spacer & different horn than pic 3   hi & lo   on a/c cars  & pic 5 looks like 2 of the same horns & the 2 bolts don't match  as I always look at the hole tab being at top on one &  on side on the other horn.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:07:26 AM by specialed »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Looks like pic 4 don't have horn spacer

Yes looks like that one didn't get nor has the spacer we would expect.  Can just replace the picture with another one (same application - with AC)  so that viewers don't get distracted from the point being looked into

& different horn than pic 3   hi & lo   on a/c cars

Looking at just 4" of the horn in the one picture not sure how you can tell the difference

& pic 5 looks like 2 of the same horns & the 2 bolts don't match  as I always look at the hole tab being at top on one &  on side on the other horn.

Looks like the same bolt to me - one has been rattle canned over it appears while they missed the left one when they were freshing things up
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
The lo horn has the eyelet tab hole on the side where as the hi horn hole tab on top as the bracket & inner half of the 69-70 horns are the same its the outer half that determines hi-lo.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »
The lo horn has the eyelet tab hole on the side where as the hi horn hole tab on top as the bracket & inner half of the 69-70 horns are the same its the outer half that determines hi-lo.

Ed Interesting point. Will find a couple of nice pictures of both  horns and we can highlight and point out how to tell the difference with your help
Jeff Speegle