Author Topic: '66 289 a code, automatic, kick down lever adjustment  (Read 2382 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 289 a code, automatic, kick down lever adjustment
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
'66 San Jose built 289 A code, with C4.  What is the procedure for adjusting the carb accelerator rod to the transmission kick down lever?  I assume the linkage on my car is as installed at the factory.  Do I just adjust the accelerator rod to contact the shift down lever just before it is full open?

Offline jwc66k

Re: '66 289 a code, automatic, kick down lever adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
That looks like a 65 type down shift setup. What is the build date? In any case, the service manual covers the adjustment.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
Seeing that in the past you referenced April-May time period (might want to put some info in your signature ;)

Here is what is typically found on an original car

V8 - With manual transmission

V8 - With automatic  transmission

Noticed the (highlighted) lower arm on this throttle bell crank or arm compared to the one for the manual transmission cars

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
I have the shop manual.....can't find the adjustment procedure, or at least not clear enough to follow.  The car is SJC built (May'66)  The linkage appears original to me. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
The 66 shop manual likely has the adjusting instructions for the cable at the end of the throttle arm (lower picture above) to the transmission arm. It would likely not show the 64-5 style you have currently installed.

Not sure what your seeing that suggests that it looks original.  Care to share something that might not be in the picture you attached
Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:00:19 AM »
Assumed it was original as the major components of the car are....date stamps, part#'s, etc.  It was totally disassembled for repaint, so I guess it's possible the wrong kick down assembly was re-installed...any way, if the build date of the car suggests it should definitely have the other(1966) kick down linkage, I will replace it.  I have the '66 service manual, so I'm not going to buy the '65 just to read how to adjust this one, '65 assembly.

Thanks...

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »
Assumed it was original as the major components of the car are....date stamps, part#'s, etc.  It was totally disassembled for repaint, so I guess it's possible the wrong kick down assembly was re-installed...any way, if the build date of the car suggests it should definitely have the other(1966) kick down linkage, I will replace it.  I have the '66 service manual, so I'm not going to buy the '65 just to read how to adjust this one, '65 assembly.

Thanks...

If consensus confirms you have the wrong setup, the setup you have would be more than likely more valuable than the setup you need. 

In any event, the adjustment process isn't very complicated IMHO. I cannot recall ever using the service manual to adjust these before but I would say having the Service Manual procedure is a good "starting point" to getting the adjustment fine-tuned. Usually, this setting is adjusted to the driver's desire, if a person likes a quicker kick-down for more of a perfomance setting, the adjustment is tightened in increments to get the desired engine RPM up-shift/down-shift points. These adjustments are confirmed or rejected with road testing. Other's (a.k.a. the grandpa setting), like it dialed back, which runs the engine at slower RPM shifting/downshift  points.

Now, in a situation of not having the correct service manual procedure, I have found on these older cars, any make or model, I usually have used this tried & proven procedure (for a starting point):
ENGINE OFF, begin with a correctly adjusted throttle pedal adjustment, confirmed by holding the the gas pedal down to the floor (inside the car, have somebody hold the pedal pressed to the floor), while holding the throttle down, go under the hood, air cleaner assembly off the vehicle, confirm the throttle plates of the carb are fully open. Now, with the throttle still on the floor (ENGINE IS STILL OFF obviously) adjust the kick-down ALMOST to the MAX setting, allowing a little slack for engine torque, motor mount stretching etc. (there is a reason these 66-68 "cable version" was eventually scrapped)...this should get you to a good "beginning point", now move to fine-tune setting and confirming YOU like it through road testing. If it feels good, kicks down at YOUR desired RPM's there you go. If it is sluggish on down-shifts, tighten the cable (linkage). If the RPM's seem too high before shifting, loosen the adjustment.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:17:24 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
If consensus confirms you have the wrong setup,
It is.
- , the setup you have would be more than likely more valuable than the setup you need. 
Maybe. The bell crank was the setup used on all 64 and 65 Mustangs with a V8 and an AT. Its "design", the bell crank style, was used on other earlier Ford V8s with an AT (but not "completely" interchangeable). The arm attached to the pedal-carb arm to the transmission control via a cable, the one you need, was used on 66 to 68 Mustangs 289 and 302 engines with an AT.
Some confusion may be that the 75 MPC (Sec A71 pg 21) indicates the bell crank system was used in 1965 AND 1966.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
If I understand correctly, the linkage on my car, being a May '66 build, is incorrect regardless of the date...just want to be sure before I remove it, locate the correct '66 linkage and install it.

Thanks...

Offline socalgt

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
Interestingly, the 1966 shop manual(Comet, Fairlane and Mustang) illustrates the setup in my car correct for 289 Mustang and the other correct for Comet and Fairlane....Do they just have it backwards?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:06:49 PM by socalgt »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »
Interestingly, the 1966 shop manual(Comet, Fairlane and Mustang) illustrates the setup in my car correct for 289 Mustang and the other correct for Comet and Fairlane....Do they just have it backwards?

Its the shop manual - not a document produced to show how things were really done on the line all cases and often printed very early or before production even started.  Looks like it shows the bolt on (rather than the welded on arm) for the kick down for 6 cylinders and the linkage like yours on/for V8's

Don't know if they updated Comets and Fairlane in 66 like they did the Mustang

Feel really comfortable with suggesting that you have the wrong kick down for your car.  If examples would help should be able to produce a fair number form that plant and time period though good clear shots are somewhat difficult with the engine in and not an area often taken when one is shooting a car

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:58:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »
Thanks....I will replace it with the original installed one.