Author Topic: Re: Single Exhaust - Waldrons Exhaust or Precision Exhaust  (Read 1816 times)

Offline new1966

Re: Single Exhaust - Waldrons Exhaust or Precision Exhaust
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
Hello -

I've been in touch with both Waldron Exhaust (just a few miles down the road from me - so no shipping) and Precision Exhaust. I have a single exhaust with resonator system. The exhaust is nearing the end of it's life and want to replace it. Looking for the best fitting aluminized single exhaust system. Waldrons is appealing in the sense that they have some muffler options that look stock, but are more free flowing. I wouldn't mind a little more sound, but want to keep the car stock looking. Precision quoted me a good price and I believe supplies some of the systems to NPD. Waldron would be a little more expensive, but I don have to pay for shipping. I've read a few posts about how Precision Exhaust systems don't fit as well as they could - that was one of my main concerns.

The car is mostly a driver, but it's pretty original and I'm slowly returing the parts that aren't stock original back to original.

http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_40_343&products_id=363&zenid=jo6raqh2kklllp2a7l52ip8uc6

https://www.precisionexhaust.com

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:26:50 PM by new1966 »
1966 Mustang

Data Plate:
65A  V  D4  10E  75  6  6

Offline rrenz

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
I just put a new single exhaust system on my coupe a little over a year ago. It came from Cj's so I'm not sure of the vendor. Fit very well. My only complaint were with the hangers which left my muffler tilted a little on one end. Not a major concern so I never tried another vendor for a hanger. My father has a stock dual setup on his 64 galaxie from waldrons which I helped him install. That also went together nicely. However as you said they do have some more free flowing mufflers and it is a tad bit too loud for my taste.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline new1966

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
Thanks for the information. Do you know which Waldron mufflers went on the Galaxie? Waldron has three levels that all look stock: oem sound, mild imposter, and imposter. I have read in a few places that the passengers side tends to sit a little lower than the drivers side on the muffler. Sound like that's what you experienced.
1966 Mustang

Data Plate:

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
Im not sure which mufflers he bought. Im almost certain he would of gotten a OEM sound type muffler. The car is stock and correct, I think it had flowmasters or something on it when he got it and wanted a stock sounding system. I don't believe he has resonators either . I was just surprised by the amount of noise that came from those mufflers.

I know I've heard of one side of the muffler being a little lower than the other this however just seemed a tad bit too low. Either way I'm very happy with the system. I went without the resonator and there is a little rumble at the tail pipe but is not loud at all in the cab.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:39:13 PM by rrenz »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
Have you checked with NPD?  I know they were working on stocking more correct single exhaust systems.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline new1966

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
Im not sure which mufflers he bought. Im almost certain he would of gotten a OEM sound type muffler. The car is stock and correct, I think it had flowmasters or something on it when he got it and wanted a stock sounding system. I don't believe he has resonators either . I was just surprised by the amount of noise that came from those mufflers.

I know I've heard of one side of the muffler being a little lower than the other this however just seemed a tad bit too low. Either way I'm very happy with the system. I went without the resonator and there is a little rumble at the tail pipe but is not loud at all in the cab.

Nice car - looks super clean. I can see the angle of the muffler since you pointed it out. Thanks for the info on the Walsdrons Exhaust. I'm still not the fence, but leaning more toward the quieter muffler.
1966 Mustang

Data Plate:

Offline new1966

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:39 PM »
Have you checked with NPD?  I know they were working on stocking more correct single exhaust systems.

Thanks!

I thought the Precision Exhaust was the NPD Exhaust. I had read there were some fitment issues. I'm sure they could be resolved by having a muffler shop do the install, if necessary. I'm a few months away from the purchase - trying to do my research now.

1966 Mustang

Data Plate:

Offline slk25

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 04:51:55 PM »
I just checked with Precision Exhaust and they claim they can no longer get the resonator for the intermediate pipe.
Have any of the members here found a suitable substitute?
I also looked at Virginia Classic and NPD and neither of them have the single intermediate pipe with resonator available.
January 28 1966 Dearborn manufactured hardtop 289 2v 3spd manual

Offline Scott302

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 06:35:00 PM »
You didn't list an application but for a guess:
NPD# for 65-66 289 single.
5A212-11A
5A289-14A
5230-16B
5255-11
All in stock.

Regards,