Author Topic: factory tie down brackets  (Read 1371 times)

Offline socalgt

factory tie down brackets
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
Were tie down brackets installed at the San Jose plant in all '66 cars, and did they remain on after the car was delivered to a dealer and subsequently sold?

Offline jwc66k

Re: factory tie down brackets
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
Yes. All cars were loaded to auto hauling trucks, or auto hauling railroad cars at the plant. The train yard is still there, although smaller. Dealers were paid a reported $1.5 to remove the brackets and return them to the assembly plant. That was part of the dealer prep procedure. As you can see, it didn't always happen.
Look up "tie down" in the search for more. Use quotes around the words.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
Were tie down brackets installed at the San Jose plant in all '66 cars, and did they remain on after the car was delivered to a dealer and subsequently sold?
FYI 2 types also. The ones in the picture are meant for single exhaust cars . The duel exhaust tie downs are a longer design in comparison for more clearance with the hooks and chains.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
Interesting about the two types.  I did a search before posting my question, searching under ...tie down brackets.  I always  do a search before posting.  I'm not familiar with searching in a manner other than going to the category and then placing my topic in the search bar.....is there another way?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
Interesting about the two types.  I did a search before posting my question, searching under ...tie down brackets.  I always  do a search before posting.  I'm not familiar with searching in a manner other than going to the category and then placing my topic in the search bar.....is there another way?

I use two words when possible, within the catagory I think they ought to be in so under 66 Mustang I tried "tie down" and got 3 pages of places to look
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
I entered "tie down", with the quotes, in the search and came up with this in one post -
http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/1/7/6/3176630/tie_down_v1.0.pdf
There are several tricks you can use in any search. The quotes is one. Another is to be brief. Too many words may narrow your search, and in many cases, is recommended, however, "brackets" is redundant as "tie down" will accomplish the same in a search.
It's called experience. How do you get experience. Make a lot of mistakes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »
I entered "tie down", with the quotes, in the search and came up with this in one post -
http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/1/7/6/3176630/tie_down_v1.0.pdf
There are several tricks you can use in any search. The quotes is one. Another is to be brief. Too many words may narrow your search, and in many cases, is recommended, however, "brackets" is redundant as "tie down" will accomplish the same in a search.
It's called experience. How do you get experience. Make a lot of mistakes.
Jim
I use two words when possible, within the catagory I think they ought to be in so under 66 Mustang I tried "tie down" and got 3 pages of places to look

Speaking of redundant...
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »

Bob, Very Interesting Answer.  I always thought that the 3-bolt tie-down hooks were earlier versus the 2-bolt tie-down hooks.  I had absolutely no idea that it was a single exhaust versus a Dual Exhaust thing... Very Interesting!!!

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
I always thought that the 3-bolt tie-down hooks were earlier versus the 2-bolt tie-down hooks.  I had absolutely no idea that it was a single exhaust versus a Dual Exhaust thing... Very Interesting!!!
That was the idea. At a car show a long time ago, our attention was drawn to a San Jose 65 (or 66) single exhaust Mustang with one long tie down on the right and one short on the left. In a few cases it was what was next or available.
Jim

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
Here's a crappy picture of one on a dual exhaust car.  It was a SJ '65 Mustang scheduled build June of '65.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
Here's a crappy picture of one on a dual exhaust car.  It was a SJ '65 Mustang scheduled build June of '65.

Good indicator verses the long or short part of the design is the extra mounting point/"ear" mid way in the design
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
So, in summary, would a car without the brackets installed be considered "correct" as sold by the dealer, but not relative to how it left the factory?  I don't have my cars judged, but which way is considered correct during judging?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
So, in summary, would a car without the brackets installed be considered "correct" as sold by the dealer, but not relative to how it left the factory?  I don't have my cars judged, but which way is considered correct during judging?

Depends on the organization and their runs but in general and since its well known that Ford instructed dealerships to remove them but many did not that either way is normally accepted.  Of course if you claim that they were removed at the dealership the frame rail in the area should show that they were mounted (paint damage from contact and the holes had been used to mount the brackets as we find on unrestored cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)