Author Topic: Transmission questions  (Read 2702 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Transmission questions
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:28:40 PM »
Tying to determine if the bell housing and torque converter are original to my car. The transmission has the right numbers and tag. Also I found a wiring clip on the side that didn't have anything in it. It was on the driver side. Any idea what it was for? Also there was another clip on the passenger side. First time looking at this transmission this close ever on the car.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:30:54 PM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline rrenz

Re: Transmission questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »
I had intended on replacing my vacuum line so I had done a little research at one time. My Vacuum line is pretty bent up and isnt running the original course but from what I remember however I believe the passenger side is for the Vacuum line before it transitions to rubber. The driver side I've seen a clip for the Neutral safety switch however in a different position if I'm looking at that picture correctly.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:38:20 PM »
The clip in picture #5 is for the hard vacuum line that attaches to the transmission at the modulator

The clip in picture #3 looks to be for electrical so the loom going to the neutral safety and back up switch I would assume. Will look at some examples to see if I have a related picture.  No external ID tag on the trans?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:00:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »
Looking through my pictures and comparing I think your trans may have been rebuilt or at least partically disassembled at some point in the past. ID tag is missing and the wire retainer on the drivers side may have been reinstalled at a different point. Only other example I found had that bracket (looking at it from the drivers side ) at the top upper left rather than the upper right and holding the wire loom for the trans switch.

As for the other bracket here are some pictures to illustrate

Example from same plant and production period as your car. You can make out the line and clip at the top center of the picture below

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:28:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I have the tag. I took it off so the rebuild shop does not lose it and to clean it up.  What direction should the wiring loom clip be?
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:14 PM »
Sorry for the quality - this is an very enlarged picture of a pretty small jpeg. Appears to be pointed forward while attached to the front top mounting bolt

Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »
Thanks Jeff. And I assume that is where the tag should go? Mine was on the other side in pic 4.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
 I have seen the tranny tag attached in the same area as yours Chris, in your pic #4? Can we have confirmation whether that that is the exact location these tags are supposed to be located or the opposite side as Jeff stated?? Not only for 65' but for 66' (which is my year).  ;D I was lucky enough to find the correct tag for my C4 but  now I'm unsure where it is supposed to go.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »
Chris sorry - missed your ID tag attached over on the passenger side and thanks to Hipo giddyup for pointing that out.  The vast majority of automatics it seems have been out and rebuilt (reason why there is a lack of paint marks normally still on them) so many pieces can be found in different locations. Looked at about a dozen of 65-66 C4's this morning and not a one had the electrical wire loom clip on them. Many had the ID missing  as well as the vacuum line clamp also gone.  Seems that the 66 versions were pretty consistant with the location of the ID tag on the passenger side while the 65's I found them on either side. Not a big sampling and realize that the location could have been swapped especially of the bolts for the servo and the governor are inter changeable - since the tag likely stays with the bolt when removed
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
Jeff, do you think the torque convertor is original? Debating if it should be replaced, kept, or replaced but retained. Thanks for your help so far. I haven't seen any markings on the transmission yet. The mount is original and has a yellow dab facing towards the rear.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
If you're going through the process of rebuilding the transmission, I would highly recommend rebuilding/replacing your torque converter. There is no thorough way of cleaning (that I know of) all of the years/miles of sediment out of the torque converter other that cutting (machining) the converter apart. This sediment will more than likely hasten the trashing of your newly-rebuilt transmission (don't ask me how I found this out).

See if you can find a rebuilder that will rebuild YOUR original converter so that you can preserve the originality of your car. Photograph all of the existing markings so that you will be able to reproduce them. What ever you do, don't let them paint the converter (like they usually do).

If you go this route, post the name of the company that rebuilt your unit. I'm going to be traveling this path in the future.

Frank

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 07:56:37 PM »
Got the tag cleaned up.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
Looking through my pictures and comparing I think your trans may have been rebuilt or at least partically disassembled at some point in the past. ID tag is missing and the wire retainer on the drivers side may have been reinstalled at a different point. Only other example I found had that bracket (looking at it from the drivers side ) at the top upper left rather than the upper right and holding the wire loom for the trans switch.

As for the other bracket here are some pictures to illustrate

Example from same plant and production period as your car. You can make out the line and clip at the top center of the picture below

If you look close at your lower picture it has the same line clip as his transmission, you can see the line isn't right next to the case like the top example you gave. I will have to look, I just rebuilt a 64.5 C4 and I think it has the same as his does. Also another thing to note about this 64.5 C4 is the breather tube is longer then on later production transmissions. I will try and get you a picture for reference.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
If you look close at your lower picture it has the same line clip as his transmission, you can see the line isn't right next to the case like the top example you gave.

Like most of these brackets with an index feature there is some slop so when you tighten down the attaching bolt they can grab and rotate with the bolt so either can be found.

Also another thing to note about this 64.5 C4 is the breather tube is longer then on later production transmissions. I will try and get you a picture for reference.

Not sure what 64 1/2 trans your referring to the OP and the lower picture are from the same month and plant while the other is later but none would be referred to as a 64 1/2 period
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
The clip that holds the tube is in pic 5 and is different than the rubber coated j clip that holds the wire for the neutral safety switch
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe