Author Topic: Kelsey Hayes & Bendix Backing Plates 10 x 1 3/4, same car with related hardware.  (Read 1313 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
While disassembling my rear axle for my 67 Coupe, I noticed some variations in the hardware for the wheel cylinders in particular. After digging through the grease layers a while longer, I noticed something else that caught my eye. One side had a KH stamping... where as the other side had a Bendix stamping. Both of them had the Ford script oval stampings.

I have never changed the wheel cylinders on the back of this car since 1978 and I had only put a wheel cylinder kid inside of the right-hand wheel cylinder approximately 1998. That was the thing that caught my eye first was that the wheel cylinders were different from one another including the bolts being different from one another.

Looking into these differences and hoping to notice something in other threads that would help me identify what was correct and what might be incorrect, I came across a thread covering a 70 Boss 302. Obviously, this isn't anything new and covers multiple years.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5683.msg109528#msg109528

Since this topic looks to cover several years, perhaps it can be moved. I have attached pictures of where I am at at this stage of the restoration for my backing plates. For whatever it's worth, the related Hardware and wheel cylinders are photographed with the respective sides of the car. ( K/H is on the Left side, Bendix is on the right with the 38787 casting wheel cylinder).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:48:51 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Re: Kelsey Hayes & Bendix Backing Plates , same car with related hardware.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
IMHO it was not that unusual, Bendix  KH both were Ford suppliers and the parts both served the same purpose so it made no difference. Now that you know they are different you will have to find the correct rubber adjustment hole covers for each. I have also seen the adjustment holes with the knock out plugs still in place.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:49:39 AM by 67gtasanjose »

Offline 67gtasanjose

Re: Kelsey Hayes & Bendix Backing Plates, same car with related hardware.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
Only the driver's side had a smooth rubber plug in it (no markings, inside or out)

I suppose I need to locate the one with the other markings on the back side. Can anyone confirm these markings or lack of markings needed for a 67?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:50:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
The backing plates were delivered pre-assembled.  If one came from Bendix, it would have Bendix markings on any parts with markings.  The same for K/H.  The rubber access hole plugs (if installed), were unique to each also. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »
Only the driver's side had a smooth rubber plug in it (no markings, inside or out)

I suppose I need to locate the one with the other markings on the back side. Can anyone confirm these markings or lack of markings needed for a 67?
It is not uncommon at all to have the Bendix backing plate on one side and K/H on the other. As Charles indicated the backing plates were installed pre assembled with hardware as a assembly. At SJ I have seen K/H on both sides and the K/H and Bendix. What I haven't seen for what ever reason is Bendix on both sides so at the very least it (if at all) that occurrence was out of the ordinary IMO.  Just what I observed. It has been my experience that the K/H plugs were not completely smooth but had a slight herringbone texture. The Bendix side plugs had the 8A raised lettering .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
The backing plates were delivered pre-assembled.  If one came from Bendix, it would have Bendix markings on any parts with markings.  The same for K/H.  The rubber access hole plugs (if installed), were unique to each also. 

Curious about the specific markings. Not finding any on the backing plates and they were not all that bad condition, one side covered in axle lube caking and nothing found underneath.

It is not uncommon at all to have the Bendix backing plate on one side and K/H on the other. As Charles indicated the backing plates were installed pre assembled with hardware as a assembly. At SJ I have seen K/H on both sides and the K/H and Bendix. What I haven't seen for what ever reason is Bendix on both sides so at the very least it (if at all) that occurrence was out of the ordinary IMO.  Just what I observed. [color=red]It has been my experience that the K/H plugs were not completely smooth but had a slight herringbone texture. The Bendix side plugs had the 8A raised lettering .[/color]

Thanks guys. Every bit of guidance is really appreciated...I didn't expect to 1.) find these different from side to side and 2.) find no markings at all given the greasy condition and general lack of rusting.

The axle housing I am finding markings on, but not the backing plates (yet anyways, more cleaning to do)
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator

+2   :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

I just found a Bendix on one parking brake lever while the other side has a KH.  My kar is a Metuchen built 23 Oct 1965.  I'm documenting this here now for historical purposes and future references for others.   

1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK