Author Topic: Sway Bar: HiPo? Shelby? or Aftermarket?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline evantugby

Sway Bar: HiPo? Shelby? or Aftermarket?
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
Gentlemen,
Do you recognize this sway bar? 

I'm trying to determine if my front sway (stabilizer) bar is a HiPo original (pic 1 and 2).  I don't think it is based on visual and measurement.  I used a digital caliper gauge to measure the diameter and it comes in at .8750" or 7/8".

When referring to Tony Gregory's Hipo book 4th edition, it mentions the diameter should be .813" diameter or 13/16" so mine is larger. Also the HiPo sway bar listed in Gregory's book shows a picture that looks to be different ends where the end links mount.  (picture 3)

Question 1:  My sway bar is a little bit thicker than the standard HiPo sway bar so do I have an after market sway bar? 

Question 2:  Because my kar is a GT-350 clone, perhaps a previous owner installed a GT-350 sway bar, but if so why isn't it 1" as it should be?  Tony Branda's parts catalog mentions GT-350s are 1" sway bars.  I went to his website to compare his aftermarket Shelby sway bar and the shape looks a bit different.  Plus mine wasn't goldish in color.  http://www.cobranda.com/1frswbar.html

Note:  There is no markings on this at all.   Because more than likely this isn't original, anyone know where I can find an original HiPo sway bar? 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:53:15 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Sway Bar: HiPo? Shelby? or Aftermarket?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »
I vote aftermarket
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:04 PM »
It's most likely some kind of aftermarket piece.  If it's not 1", it can't be a Shelby sway bar.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
Gentlemen,
Do you recognize this sway bar? 

I'm trying to determine if my front sway (stabilizer) bar is a HiPo original (pic 1 and 2).  I don't think it is based on visual and measurement.  I used a digital caliper gauge to measure the diameter and it comes in at .8750" or 7/8".

When referring to Tony Gregory's Hipo book 4th edition, it mentions the diameter should be .813" diameter or 13/16" so mine is larger. Also the HiPo sway bar listed in Gregory's book shows a picture that looks to be different ends where the end links mount.  (picture 3)

Question 1:  My sway bar is a little bit thicker than the standard HiPo sway bar so do I have an after market sway bar? 

Question 2:  Because my kar is a GT-350 clone, perhaps a previous owner installed a GT-350 sway bar, but if so why isn't it 1" as it should be?  Tony Branda's parts catalog mentions GT-350s are 1" sway bars.  I went to his website to compare his aftermarket Shelby sway bar and the shape looks a bit different.  Plus mine wasn't goldish in color.  http://www.cobranda.com/1frswbar.html

Note:  There is no markings on this at all.   Because more than likely this isn't original, anyone know where I can find an original HiPo sway bar?
A GT350 sway bar besides being 1 inch in diameter is completely different shape on the ends compared to your picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
Thank you everyone. Looks like I'm in the market for either original hipo or gt350 sway bar!

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
I used a digital caliper gauge to measure the diameter and it comes in at .8750" or 7/8".
When referring to Tony Gregory's Hipo book 4th edition, it mentions the diameter should be .813" diameter or 13/16" so mine is larger.
I measured three 65-66 Mustang GT front sway bars, all from San Jose cars, a May 65, a Oct 65 and a 66 Hardtop, build date believed to be in Feb 66, and the average diameter is 0.840 inch. I made the measurements in 5 different locations, one on each side of the insulator area and in the center. I used a mechanical caliper (more reliable) to measure all within the last 15 minutes of this post. There are always manufacturing tolerances and on hard drawn, tempered steel, it's difficult to maintain. As a result, dimensional differences are allowed to occur to "enhance" the requirement. In this case, a 0.813 inch required diameter would be probably a minimum, with up to 0.040 inch maximum over.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:51:58 PM »
Hi there,

Both the GT (A code or K code) or a non GT (K code only) received the "special handling package" which included a larger sway bar (13/16" diameter) as standard equipment as part of selecting a GT or K-code (non-GT) option.  So your choices would be a Special Handling package (13/16" diameter) or Shelby (1" diameter) front sway bar.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline evantugby

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »
I measured three 65-66 Mustang GT front sway bars, all from San Jose cars, a May 65, a Oct 65 and a 66 Hardtop, build date believed to be in Feb 66, and the average diameter is 0.840 inch. I made the measurements in 5 different locations, one on each side of the insulator area and in the center. I used a mechanical caliper (more reliable) to measure all within the last 15 minutes of this post. There are always manufacturing tolerances and on hard drawn, tempered steel, it's difficult to maintain. As a result, dimensional differences are allowed to occur to "enhance" the requirement. In this case, a 0.813 inch required diameter would be probably a minimum, with up to 0.040 inch maximum over.
Jim

Jim,
Great feedback!  Thanks for the effort!  Care to sell me one of those original sway bars? 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »
Jim,
Great feedback!  Thanks for the effort!  Care to sell me one of those original sway bars?
They're installed. You have to buy the entire car. Prices vary. -  ;D
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline evantugby

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »
They're installed. You have to buy the entire car. Prices vary. -  ;D
Jim

Haha! 

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »
Pm sent...
Greg Z

Offline evantugby

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »
For the Concours experts,
Did the original GT or HiPo sway bar come with any markings, stamps, castings, etc? 

Tony Gregory's book doesn't mention any so I'm guessing no.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:52:00 PM by evantugby »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
For the Concours experts,
Did the original GT or HiPo sway bar come with any markings, stamps, castings, etc? 

No engineering, part numbers nor paint markings for the 65-66 GT or Hipo front sway bars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:29:10 AM »
No engineering, part numbers nor paint markings for the 65-66 GT or Hipo front sway bars

+1
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline evantugby

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
Pm sent...

paid.  Thanks for the tracking info too!  I'm excited to replace this imposture I have for a HiPo sway bar with the real thing!