Author Topic: Need help, Tunnel Brake Line Clips, Below Prop valve and others  (Read 1815 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Need help, Tunnel Brake Line Clips, Below Prop valve and others
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
OK guys I am reaching out for a little help. My questions pertain to a 68 Dearborn Convert built in July of 68. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bought some brake line clips for the tunnel and they are pretty close to the originals. They showed up in a natural metal finish and I am wondering if that's the way they get installed or I thought I heard from a very respectable source that originals were painted Lime Green. I cleaned 5 rusty originals and never saw any Green color on these. The clips which hold wiring in the trunk to the wheel housing lip are sort of half olive green and half black but never found any lime green on the tunnel clips. So what is correct for the tunnel clips?

There is a clip below the master cylinder mounted on the apron with the push through metal peg (like the lines in the tunnel) behind the lines which come from proportioning valve with the big brass fitting. Does anything mount to this clip. My car is a power brake car and I just looked at an original un restored manual brake car and it had the clip but it was just an empty clip. Would almost seem a brake linecould go behind it but that would mean bending g and forcing the issue. Was it a clip ll cars got but not necessarily used?

Finally I remember there being some clips along the leading edge of the gas tank opening. How many clips should there be, what do they hold and what kind are they?  Are they the same as the clips in the trunk which are olive green and black?

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help, Tunnel Brake Line Clips, Below Prop valve and others
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
The clips in the tunnel are zinc. The clips for the fuel wire are phosphate. There is a small clip that holds the end of the fuel line to the tank flange lip that is kind of olive green. The clip by the prop valve should be zinc and holds the speedo cable.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
Much appreciated for the response. The clip below the master cylinder is on the apron and this is for speedo? I know there is a clip for the speedo cable low on the firewall below the accelerator pedal assembly but the one on the apron is used as well. Got it. I thought I remember hearing that gas line clips were green but you confirmed they are not. Thanks

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
Yes there is one on the firewall for the speedo cable and the one by the prop valve is also for the speedo cable

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
Thank you that very helpful. Zinc finish is a bright silver plating correct?