Author Topic: Olive Drab Finish  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Olive Drab Finish
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
For a 68 Metuchen car, what were some of the items that were olive drab in color? I have a fuel line clip that I believe was olive drab but am not sure, attached at the end of the driveshaft tunnel near differential.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: Olive Drab Finish
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
The only olive drab parts that I recall on the 68 are the clips for the gas tank sending unit pigtail...2-3 on the passenger side of the gas tank opening. The gas line clips were zinc plated.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
ok, I plated this clip in zinc but it looked olive drab before I sent it off.... must have turned an olive drab color over the years.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »
The only olive drab parts that I recall on the 68 are the clips for the gas tank sending unit pigtail...2-3 on the passenger side of the gas tank opening. The gas line clips were zinc plated.

Regards,
Pete Morgan
Pete,I believe the special clip for the fuel line back by the gas tank that holds the fuel line just before it angles down to the fuel sender is olive drab also. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »
It is. There are also some molding clips that are the olive color as well

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
Pete,I believe the special clip for the fuel line back by the gas tank that holds the fuel line just before it angles down to the fuel sender is olive drab also. Bob

That same clip came in a black-ish finish on the earlier cars.  I'm guessing black-zinc or something similar.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
I hve some clips wich are half olive and half black which attach wiring for fuel sending wire on the passenger side wheel house and main wiring for tail lamps on drivers side wheel house. Have a pic but can't seem to be able to attach to the message using the "Insert Image" icon. I will show the clip and the attachment if someone tells me how.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:11:12 AM »
I hve some clips wich are half olive and half black which attach wiring for fuel sending wire on the passenger side wheel house and main wiring for tail lamps on drivers side wheel house. Have a pic but can't seem to be able to attach to the message using the "Insert Image" icon. I will show the clip and the attachment if someone tells me how.
That is the same clip that Pete referred to in his post #1. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »
Charles it may be the same clip however Pete refers to the clip being on the underside of the chassis at the front lip of the gas tank opening  the way I understand his post. I've seen that same clip half olive and half black clipped to the pinch weld of the inner and outer wheelhouse for both the gas tank wire (pass side) and the main trunk harness on the drivers side wheelhouse. That would mean you need 4 or 5 of these clips.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:46 AM »
Last post should have been addressed to bob g.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
There are 2 types of clips used on the edge of the fuel tank opening.  Usually a couple that hold the wiring up and then that strange looking one that goes on the other side for the fuel line.  My post was in regards to the strange looking one.  The wiring clips came either either black or olive drab on the top where no rubber is.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
Caaspian can you post a pic of the gas line clip. Have a number of different clips which are unmarked and unbagged and wondering if some of these are for the gas line.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
These should help with one of the styles Charles was describing.

San Jose appears (sorry to get off thread a little) only the rubber dipped style - at least on the mid year cars.

A couple of pictures (mid year cars around 134000) to illustrate what I found

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the pic Jeff but still too tough to make out the gas line clip profile. The green wire clips I'm good with but I only had 2.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
Thanks for the pic Jeff but still too tough to make out the gas line clip profile. The green wire clips I'm good with but I only had 2.

"Green wire clips" ? On these they were not green - San Jose examples

As for the fuel line retainer I'll look when I get home (on the way home from the Judges Meeting at the moment) and try and post a picture to help
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)