Author Topic: Fender Date Stamps dies fixtures 1964  (Read 5095 times)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Fender Date Stamps dies fixtures 1964
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »
Hello

Anyone know how the date stamp was retained on the front fender lips for stamping???

Just got the nose back from the strippers and the fender has indentations around the date, and (what looks like) allen head impression on each side of the stamped numbers.

Not sure if this is from OVER pressing or just that the dies were very new.

Mark
P.S.  It maybe that I'm use to seeing paint over this area and it is usually hardly visible
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline svo2scj

Re: Fender Date Stamps dies fixtures 1964
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:37:37 PM »
Hello

Anyone know how the date stamp was retained on the front fender lips for stamping???

Just got the nose back from the strippers and the fender has indentations around the date, and (what looks like) allen head impression on each side of the stamped numbers.

Not sure if this is from OVER pressing or just that the dies were very new.

Mark
P.S.  It maybe that I'm use to seeing paint over this area and it is usually hardly visible

Let me ask this way....
Would Prototype parts HAND STAMPED with die numbers (held with a fixture)????  In the case of the front fenders
I show 8/12 with 8/10 for the rear vertical support and 8/11 for the lower mounting fixture.  BUT THE FENDER LIP on either side of the 8 12 D3 had an allen head fixture.

I will look at the lower side on Tuesday as I will be with an employee of Alexander Bros in Detroit.

Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
Mark - could you post a picture of what you are describing?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »
Hi Jeff/All

I hope you can see the holding fixture in these photos;

Seems like the one side was flipped for the clamping force

Again will look at the underside to confirm this on Tuesday
Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »
Checked my pictures and I've got no very early cars with good close- ups of the fender date stamping (Dearborn) Noticed that the font (in your picture) is different from the later 65 versions also'
'
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:35:10 AM »
What year/plant are we talking about here?  Are we sure the fender is not a service replacement?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
What year/plant are we talking about here?  Are we sure the fender is not a service replacement?

Probably late 1962 and then early 1963 , Allen Park concept studio for the fabrication.  (car was trucked to DAP without drivetrain in 4/64)

I think you know, I respect this forum, the cars and everyone assistance (opinions?) but I have resisted TOO MUCH bantor in the "other public forums" as it can become quite a mess.   I offer this here, just as much to protect myself from the discussions as to respect the LEVEL OF THIS FORUM. 

I did just look at some early and late stamped 19641/2-66 Ford NOS front fenders that I have (I had a thread asking about the changes to these here  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1705.0) and the date stamping doesn't seem to he "held in place" by a hand assembled fixture like this car.

Mark
P.S.  Mostly my concern is to do the right thing for the car - many change directions due to life changes, money or confusion on "what engine to build".  In this case, I can't even fill holes that "we" wouldn't expect to be on a Mustang.   (Guess I'll have to post rear quarter prototype drains next)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:39:39 AM by svo2scj »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
That is quite a unique piece.  Unfortunately, never seen that type of date stamping on any production/assembly line Mustang parts.  Maybe it would be more frugal to compare with some earlier Fords?

Thanks for sharing pics of your project!

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
That is quite a unique piece.  Unfortunately, never seen that type of date stamping on any production/assembly line Mustang parts.  Maybe it would be more frugal to compare with some earlier Fords?

Thanks for sharing pics of your project!

Thanks Charles,
While the underside is early Falcon (different wheelbase and floors) there are many MERCURY items on the car.
BUT just as we find with all 40+ year old cars, it's the things that have been changed or stray from the norms (of what we know as accepted production) that make projects like this hard.

It seems that what we would think the natural progression of the prototypes Mustang I-1962, Mustang II-1963 and the Launch in April of 1964 (of the car we know) went that way.  But it looks like the 1963 car was only a bridge (between the two) , constructed only to revisit Watkins Glen a year latter than Mustang I and been built on what was all ready running preproduction cars.  I was totally prepared to find nothing but bondo.  (Even the confirmation that they were using plastic (in house) in the early 60's was important to the forensic's of the project)

While most work backwards from 4/17/64, some site 3/5/64 for importance of DAP's first runs - then you have the specialty work of the houses like DST, Alexander Bros and Carron and Company that work working after Allen Park car from the earliest days.  (pre 1961)

Many of the cars that have made it to this collection , come for prior owners wanting me to preserve "their" car.
It seems that while Ford visits (and thinks only "how can we use these cars for marketing in 2010"), we think how is it important to WHEN it was built !  (thank goodness)
Mark

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:19:17 AM »
I too respect this site, so hopefully I'm adding in a positive way..

Has the impression on what's seen on a intake manifold, with the recessed oval indent and raised date code.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 01:34:05 AM »
After looking at the date stampings again, just wanted to post that it reminds me of date codes in cast iron engine parts.  There is usually a screw-head impression on each end.  Maybe some of the same type of tooling used?

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »

That looks like a Mustang II Front end.  Is this another '63 Mustang II??? Or is it just a 2nd Front end??

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
In my opinion I don't think the fenders would have been stamped since they look handmade or someone from studio design down the road added to them.  The brass make me wonder as well, as in the 60's they knew that paint or lead didn't stick to brass.  From the hand made or prototype parts that I have seen and restored sheet metal wise thier were know dates stamps anywhere to be seen.  I have seen those types of stamps in some sheet metal that is in the above pictures