Author Topic: April 67 NJ Fastback Undercarriage Questions  (Read 6207 times)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
April 67 NJ Fastback Undercarriage Questions
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
I have a few questions re: 67  Mustang, Fastback, S code, build date of 4/17/67, Metuchen and a C6.

Does anyone have any detail pictures of an under carriage?  What I could tell, prior to having it Media blasted, it appears it was painted Red Oxide on the under carriage.  What I couldn't tell  if the trans tunnel was undercoated and where else it was seam sealed/undercoated.  I have some idea of areas around the seat belt mounts, across the front trans tunnel/floor to the firewall, maybe at the rear, not sure of that.

Any pictures of a Concours restored or an original would be helpful.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:42:40 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 Fastback Undercarriage
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »
Others may be able to provide more pointed references to sealers and application, but I can tell you that there shouldn't be any sound deadener or undercoating in the transmission area on a '67.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:51 AM »
We have difficulty with NJ cars and details since few survive without rust issues. With that said I've do run across these from time to time and focus allot on the undercarriage and other unibody features.

As Charles mention originally there was no sound deadener applied to the trans or driveline tunnel on your year and plant. Sometimes trans leaks (and the build up of grease, oil and crud take on the look of sound deadener or undercoating. Sometimes it is just previous owner trying to protect or quiet a car

With that said I've sometimes (at other plants) the overlap from the firewall to the floor pan above the front of the trans sealed if the workers did not align the panels well and left a gap.  Seems that was the quick fix to reduce problems later.  Often wiped in a sloppy way with sealant and a big brush

As you remember NJ cars used one of a number of tones of epoxy red oxide primer sealer (slightly glossy and smooth finish rather than the Rustoleum look)

Seam sealer (over the red oxide and after body color application) at the rocker to floor joint as well as around the inboard seat belt anchors.  None of the other seams under the car were sealed with an exterior application

Last nice rust free 67 NJ fastback I shot pictures of was a December car - don't keep pictures of restored one - IMHO can't trust them ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »
Often what appears to be sound deadener in the tunnel is years of leaky transmission mixed with grease. In addition to Jeff's excellent decription, there is also sealer brushed on the bottom of the trunk drops and on the back of the rear valance above the exhaust cutout holes. Occaisionally we see what appears to be black paint up in the cavity above the rear axle (where shocks mount) We believe this was because in some cases the paint jets didn't spray up that high and left the area bare so it was sprayed on later probably at the blackout stage. This is not real common though. NJ red oxide is usually a little browner than other plants.

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »
Thanks guys, everything you pointed out has been a real help and confirms some of what I found.  This car originally sold in Florida and then went to Texas, so some rust in the front floor pans but otherwise clean.

Often what appears to be sound deadener in the tunnel is years of leaky transmission mixed with grease. In addition to Jeff's excellent decription, there is also sealer brushed on the bottom of the trunk drops and on the back of the rear valance above the exhaust cutout holes. Occaisionally we see what appears to be black paint up in the cavity above the rear axle (where shocks mount) We believe this was because in some cases the paint jets didn't spray up that high and left the area bare so it was sprayed on later probably at the blackout stage. This is not real common though. NJ red oxide is usually a little browner than other plants.
Tim, which area exactly on the trunk drops had the sealer?  Mine has the standard valance, no exhaust cut outs, it is not a GT.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
Sound deadener on the rear valance was just for the dual exhaust cars. Single exhaust with a standard valance did not have any sound deadener on the valance.

The trunk dropout area Tim describes, is where the sides of the trunk drop down to meet the bottom of the quarter panels. From under the Mustang, you will see that the quarter panel and trunk drop down panel are spot welded together. That whole seam has sealer applied to it from the underside. This sealer does not show on the exterior and was applied before any pinch weld blackout was applied.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 11:25:25 AM »
Thanks Pete that explains the area in question.  This is a S code, therefore it has dual exhaust, but as stated previously a Non GT.  According to the Marti Elite report it is one of one because it was ordered with all the items a GT would have, except fog lights.

RE;The pinch welds black out, it is my understanding that on dark cars, this is Vintage Burgundy, that was not done.  Not sure a Vintage Burgundy is considered a dark color?  Mike

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
We've been seeing pinch weld black-out on pretty much all cars except maybe some black ones.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »
Thanks Charles.  My car is currently at the body shop getting some metal rework on the floors.  When it comes back from there I am painting/seam sealing interior, undercarriage and then back for final paint.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
We've been seeing pinch weld black-out on pretty much all cars except maybe some black ones.
+1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
.............. NJ red oxide is usually a little browner than other plants.

Tim have to disagree for 67 - what I'm seeing is colors no browner than San Jose examples. As usual we see a variate as illustrated below by multiple examples

From approx 113,xxx

From approx 139,xxx

From approx 149,xxx

From approx 267,xxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
................Tim, which area exactly on the trunk drops had the sealer? ........

Right is a close up - Not all of my examples had it (often dries and falls off)

Its at the bottom edge, behind the rear wheel where the quarter panel is spot welded to the inner (trunk drop_ panel

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »
Couple of other points

Here is a shot of one example where the sealant was applied to the gap between the floor and rocker panel (applied after the paint/primer) Unlike other plants this example was not wiped/spread out with a rag or brush

Also (like the other plants) 67 NJ applied the rear wheelwell sound deadener before  before thy applied the exterior color

Hope this all helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff for the great pictures, that really helps clarify the areas I had questions about.  Now just to get it back and begin the process. 

Thanks again,
Mike