Author Topic: '65-'66 Rear Quarter Extensions  (Read 8557 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65-'66 Rear Quarter Extensions
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »

I would like to know how many versions of the pot-metal extensions will possibly fit onto a '65-'66 Mustang-I understand that there wereat leats 2 versions, also what style do the current reproductions look like? If anyone has pictures for compairisn that would be great. Thanks!

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: '65-'66 Rear Quarter Extensions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:05 AM »
I only know of the 2 types.  I had a 65 with one of each type.  The older type was not cast with the extra ridge inside that holds the rubber gasket thingy.  I'm sure paint chipping was a problem with this one so the newer one was created that had the rubber gasket.  The gasket was u-shaped and was placed around the extension on the inner ridge.  When the part was snugged up, the rubber contacted first, and compressed a little, which kept the extension from moving around and chpping the paint.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
6 or more castings with different revisions

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »
I would like to know how many versions of the pot-metal extensions will possibly fit onto a '65-'66 Mustang-I understand that there wereat leats 2 versions, also what style do the current reproductions look like? If anyone has pictures for compairisn that would be great. Thanks!

Some info/pics here:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1650.0
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
I just pulled a C4ZD-6528073-A left side off my restored LATE '65 Dearborn car-I am trying to figure out my ill fit between the decklid & left side extension-everything appears to be square and the right side seems to fit ok and is acceptable-there was no mention of the C4 parts in the other thread-I am told sometimes its just trial and error in getting a good panel fit/gap........are these extensions unique to a particular body style?
If you had to guess, what number do you think would fit the best on my July 1965 Dearborn Convertible?

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
Doesn't the 65xxxx number represent a coupe?  A convertible should be a 76xxxx number.

It is also possible that the coupe and convertibles share the same rear quarter extensions, but the fastback is definitely different.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:10:55 AM »
Doesn't the 65xxxx number represent a coupe?  A convertible should be a 76xxxx number.

It is also possible that the coupe and convertibles share the same rear quarter extensions, but the fastback is definitely different.

What's different about fastback extensions?  I've found nothing but the 65xx numbers on 65-66 quarter extensions.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:50 AM »
So, I've got an oddo then with this "C4" extension? would any of these be phsycally different from 1 to the other? if not why (execpt the ones with the rubber strips) would Ford have made so many revisions?
I have spoken to a so-so local Mustang guy and he says there are several different styles as far as he knows.....

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
What's different about fastback extensions?  I've found nothing but the 65xx numbers on 65-66 quarter extensions.

You're right; I'm wrong.  I don't know what I was thinking of...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »
So, I've got an oddo then with this "C4" extension? would any of these be phsycally different from 1 to the other? if not why (execpt the ones with the rubber strips) would Ford have made so many revisions?
I have spoken to a so-so local Mustang guy and he says there are several different styles as far as he knows.....

C4 is just a part number prefix, may or may not designate the year of application. 

Don't have much experience with the very early extensions, which supposedly do not bolt-up to later quarter panels.  The 2 main types of quarter extensions for 65-66 are those without the gasket channel and the later ones with the channel.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Murf

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
This is just my experience, but there seem to be variations in the shape of the casting.  I have no idea what engineering number is stamped on each one, BUT I am of the opinion that there are several "shapes" or "contours" of these pot metal castings.  Some "66 types" for instance will not fit properly on some cars.  You can try several parts and you probably will find that one of them is a good fit on your car while others range from "almost" to "awful".  Never tried to figure out why this happens but before you give up and try to either shape the end cap or move the quarter panel to get a good fit, round up all of the end caps that your friends have stashed and try each of them and normally one will solve the problem.  Again, just one  persons experience.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »
Murf,

My bet would be the cast parts are exactly the same.
The variable seems to me to be the car that it is bolting onto.  How many HUMANS welded the quarters onto the extension attachment plate onto the tail light panel?  How many HUMANS fixed the rear quarters after the car was wrecked during the last 45 years?
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
Guys, My car had the "Good" (from 1978) RED OXIDE (FORD) full quarters put on by a very experianced craftsman when it was restored, like I say the right side decklid to extrension fits real well and is very acceptable while the left side is not.
I am not sure that my car ended up with its original extensions or not-all I can see is that the decklid seems to be nice and square but the nearly 1/4" gap between them makes it look like an amature did the work, and all I'm tryiong to do is fix it-mind you my car is completely done, painted and I absolutely will not get into moving the quarter, but am thinking really hard about getting ahold of a few other extensions to try them for fit and if I find one, I'll have it painted to match my car....otherwise I guess I'll have to live with it.

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
I was visiting BossCars.com this weekend with some top notch MCA Judges looking over an unresotred original owner K code coupe, Metuch Car some unique things about the car very unique and for one thing the driver side quarter extension was in about quarter inch and the trunk lid sticking out quarter inch past it, compared to the right side.  I also seen a few weeks ago Carol Shelby's unrestored 65 GT350 in his museum car fit was the same on that car

chris

Offline e093116

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:51:26 PM »
I agree with Murf 100%.  I went through three sets last year before I found parts that I was happy with.  You would be surprised how much you can "shape" the end caps too.  I had a piece that was broken that I played with to determine how much was too much.  But even with some creative shaping, you have to have a part that is close to begin with to achieve satisfactory results.

Same thing goes for headlight buckets/doors on the front of the car.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date