Author Topic: Refinishing suspension components  (Read 3034 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Refinishing suspension components
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Well I received my copy of the Osborn chassis assembly manual and had an opportunity to look some of it over. I have to thank those who suggested getting a copy as it truely is eye opening. But theres a small problem now. I've found some inconsistancies with what is printed and wat I found on my car. For instance under the front steering drawings there is a note on the left hand side which references marks on tie rod ends. It states that the tie rod end at the rh spindle is marked in green and the lh side in yellow. Both my tie rod ends at the spindle connection were marked with yellow. So did someone goof up at the plant? What should I do now? Return it as delivered with yellow on both ends or do I fix the goof up?

I noticed that the bracket which mounts the power steering valve assembly to the chassis has a pink mark. i can verify that as being correct because my bracket has traces of pink. The question is my pink marks at this bracket and also at the front yoke coming out of he C6 are very faint. It alsmost looks like this was sprayed and notaplied with a brush. Would that be a correct assumption?

Regarding the power steering hydraulic cylinder i nootice that there is a note that it is to be marked with yellow. Does anyone have a photo of how this is supposed to look once done or an original unrestored unit?

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Re: Refinishing suspension components
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
Be careful about refinishing components as per assembly manual as there are 100's of examples that are incorrect. The cars themselves are always the best resource. I see most tie rod ends with yellow but the car I'm working on now has yellow left and green right like the manual

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
Well I guess the question is if i do paint both spindle end tie rods with a yellow daub would I get dinged during judging or is it accepted that they came both ways. i have a pic to prove it but would rather not have to drag pictures around with me.

For the most part the items that i saw in the manual have either been noted as being there before the parts were refinished or here on this site. The yellow mark on the slave cylinder I have never heard of but, I have another original one sitting on a shelf so I will look to see if I find any trace.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
I have no problem with the yellow marks on the tie rod ends. As far as the others I would not do them unless you found them on the car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:08:09 AM »
One challenge for the yellow marks on the tie rods is that is a plant specific detail rather than something applied at the provider of the part so you need to be sure (in your example) that Deaborn used the same marking system that year.

As for the Osborn assembly manuals I share Tim's warning. Also consider that each of the pictures Jim put in the manuals were printed to replace a page that was either incorrect or had changed, so we have no idea of the page we have available contains a mistake that was caught the next day or has details that changed a week or two later.

As Tim mention the good original car examples from the same plant and time are your best resource (besides your own car if it has not been altered) are your best resources for these details
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
Well I think that using this resource (Osborn manuals) as a guide is good for highlighting components or areas which you should pay close attention to. After going through it I found drafting mistakes where finish for some bolts/nuts which should have read S100 were listed as 2100. Been around drafting long enough to see that it was a goof. There is a page showing brake lines which has every detail marked as K. What was the project engineer thinking? "Refer to detail K?" There are 20 details all marked K. Probably drawn the day after the company Christams party.