Author Topic: Late 68 289 radiator hoses  (Read 2720 times)

Offline ruppstang

Late 68 289 radiator hoses
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »
Our 68 fastback C-code 289 was judged at the VA. Beach National show and received a deduction for having the pedestal style  radiator hose clamps. I was told because of it's 7-12-68 build date it should have wire clamps with staples. Even though the rules state either clamp is exceptable. We also own a 68 High Country Special C-code 289 with a build date of 7-16-68. No suppliers seem to have these hoses so I called Marti Auto Works and talked with their production guy. He said that according to their data base the band style clamps are correct for those build dates. He also said that for $10 extra they could build some,and wanted me to let him know what the MCA position is on this is. I would only like to find the truth.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Late 68 289 radiator hoses
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
Believe your spring/summer 68 San Jose car should have the wire clamps. San Jose started using them on small blocks in 66 (we understand it was sort of the test for the new clamps and associated hoses)

Believe (Sure Pete will comment) that MCA position would be if that the rules state either clamp would be allowed you should not receive a deduction - though a comment would be helpful
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
As always, our judging efforts with the MCA and owners are to represent the cars as accurately as possible. Obviously, this is tough as there were 3 assembly plants with suspect practices.

What we know: 1. Ford tested the wire radiator hose clamps at the San Jose plant starting during the 66 production cycle. I personally have looked at 2 low mileage, unrestored 67 GT-350s that had the wire clamps. I have also looked at an early 67 Metuchen convertible with the wire clamps, but that may be suspect! 2. Ford implemented the wire clamps across the 3 assembly plants (and all other Ford assembly plants) sometime late in the 68 production cycle. This is most evident on the big-block Fords. I have not been able to come up with anything more concrete.

To cover all bases, the 67-68 concours rules allow either tower or wire clamps. While a restorer can get by with either clamp, the better restorer will take into account what is known and make an appropriate decision on which clamps to use for a given Mustang.

Marty, I believe your high country special is a late June build. As there was slightly more than a month left in the 68 productin cycle, yours is definately a late build.  I would expect to see the wire clamps on the radiator hoses and problably would write that in the judging comments. However, I would not deduct any points and I would instruct the other gold card judges to not deduct any points.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
What would your feeling be concerning the clamps for a Dearborn June 2, 1968 car?  I don't remember what my coupe had originally.  I have the tower clamps on it now and would just as soon put the wire clamps on instead.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
I actually did quite a bit of research on this several months ago and found no credible examples of tower clamps on any 68 small block in any of the plants. The number of credible examples of wire clamps to tower was like 50 to 0 and this was from beginning production till end of 68

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
I actually did quite a bit of research on this several months ago and found no credible examples of tower clamps on any 68 small block in any of the plants. The number of credible examples of wire clamps to tower was like 50 to 0 and this was from beginning production till end of 68

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am going to order a set for each of the 68's and am going to tell Marti Autoworks as per our conversation here that they should add these to their regular inventory. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am going to order a set for each of the 68's and am going to tell Marti Autoworks as per our conversation here that they should add these to their regular inventory. Marty
Marty,the best of luck with that. It has been voiced by a number of others over the last few years. Don't waste your time with anyone but Kevin . I don't think his staff even brings this concern to him anymore . Maybe the umpteenth time is the charm ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Well I guess I was lucky, I was just on the Marti Auto web site and see that they now have the C8 wire clamp hoses available for small blocks. I am glad to get some especially after seeing that original 5200 mi  fastback that just sold on BJ had them. Marty