Author Topic: 68 Interior sound deadener mat  (Read 6595 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 Interior sound deadener mat
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:21:57 AM »
Looking to find out if anyone makes the pre-cut sound deadener pieces which you find under the carpeting of an original car. It is a mat like material which is the color of cardboard, fairly thick and heavy. I was able to save the piece which was under my rear seats but the stuff over the floor pans and tunnel hump  was toast. I purchased a black rubber like material 25 years ago but it is much thinner. I would like to see if anyone repops something which is close to original in makeup and thickness. I had a 70 Boss long ago which had a piece of this over the gas tank in the trunk. Did 68's  have a similar piece? I looked at a unrestored 68 coupe recently and it didn't have it so I am wondering if it was discarded by a previous owner or did Ford start adding this in 69 or 70 over the gas tank?

Offline 67gta289

Re: Interior sound deadener mat
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »
I don't know of a source, but for reference/discussion my Dec 66 SJ 2+2 deluxe interior also had the material on the top of the gas tank.  The top layer of the mat became brittle and broke down into many small pieces.  It stuck to the tank enough for me to suspect an adhesive was used to keep it in place.  I wonder if body style and deluxe interior option was used to determine which vehicles got the mat if they all did not.  John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
All 67s and 68s had the sound deadner on the gas tank. I have been getting mine at Snake Oyl. It is the thick padded asphalt covered like the originals. Marty MCA gold card 38812

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:52:14 PM »
None of the current reproductions match the factory so on the 69 we finished last year we made our own starting with some of the bulk material that SnakOyl makes. IMHO came out almost spot on. If you do a search here you should find are post and an article attached on how to reproduce it.

On the same/similar point the early cars 64-66 often used a thin single layer product rather than the later jute, tar and paper combinationl
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Jeff, nicely detailed article on reproducing the sound deadener mat material.  For the 67-68 models, what is the extent of the mat?  I literally pulled mine out in pieces, and if I recall correctly it covered only the tank including the flanges.  Do you have any pics?  Of course you do, what am I thinking ::)  John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »
Jeff, nicely detailed article on reproducing the sound deadener mat material.  For the 67-68 models, what is the extent of the mat?  I literally pulled mine out in pieces, and if I recall correctly it covered only the tank including the flanges.  Do you have any pics?  Of course you do, what am I thinking ::)  John

Correct for the 67-68 version (as well as 69-70 Non- Mach, Grande or Shelby) the mat only covered the gas tank version (don't forget the board on top of the tank either ;) For these you can use two of the standard Snake Oyl Mustang mats or one piece of the bulk product to produce something much better

Will find and post a picture  -
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The snake oil products which i bought a long time ago were a black rubber/tar like sheet. It had no brown like paper/carboard finish to it and was about 1/8" thick. Is this what you start with? I appreciate the confirmation of the gas tank piece and I saw a coupe which had a similar pad in front of the gas tank and going towards the bulkhead between the rear seat back and the gas tank forward lip and from wheel house to wheel house.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The snake oil products which i bought a long time ago were a black rubber/tar like sheet. It had no brown like paper/carboard finish to it and was about 1/8" thick. Is this what you start with?

Yes that is what people have been purchasing and using - the reason we set out to make something much more correct. The basic pieces are there you just have to add to them and rearrange some ;)

I appreciate the confirmation of the gas tank piece and I saw a coupe which had a similar pad in front of the gas tank and going towards the bulkhead between the rear seat back and the gas tank forward lip and from wheel house to wheel house.

On coupes there should have been a separate (like many installed around the interior) piece that covered from behind the rear seat to about 10" short of  the forward edge of the gas tank. Like many of the cars we see at shows it is missing as well as the pad on the back of the rear seat since they often rot and fall apart
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:37:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »
Just double checked many pictures and I have to report (that is what we're here for) that IMHO it appears that not all 67 + 68 may have had the sound deadener pad/underlayment over the gas tank. Not sure if the usage was based on time of production or connected (example deluxe interior cars during those years as it was in later years)

For example we saw a very nice unrestored  68 San Jose car last year That showed evidence of never being played with where the gas tank showed some spray on glue.  The same glue was evident in the bottom of the trunk mat (not possible if a layer of underlayment was there. BTW trunk/spare tire board was still in place.

Car was a low optioned car - basic V8 with dog dish hub caps. Great car to see

Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 Interior sound deadener mat
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
Looks like you are correct on the low optioned cars maybe not having them. This was a really original 68 coupe 6 cyl, 3 speed mid June built Dearborn car. Glue on underside of mat and top of gas tank. No evidence of mat.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:03 PM »
As stated in a previous post, my Dec 66 SJ 2+2 with interior decor option did have the deadener on the gas tank.  However, the tank itself was only about 80% covered due to aging brittle material.  I saw no evidence of deadener on the vertical risers around the tank nor on the flat sections to the left and right of the tank as Jeff's 69 & 70 documents show.  I suppose that if they were there I would have seen either some pieces left or some loose remnants floating around.  My vote thus far, and this is a very interesting topic, is that 67-68, models with interior decor (aka deluxe interior) had sound deadener material over the trunk.  Of course we would need more samples, from more plants, etc. to make a better case.  I don't have access to the Osborne manuals yet, it would be interesting if they called any of this out. If this speculation gains more merit it would be interesting to probe into differences in the interior deadener application. John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 05:28:45 PM »
......... I saw no evidence of deadener on the vertical risers around the tank nor on the flat sections to the left and right of the tank as Jeff's 69 & 70 documents show. ..........

Believe we are pretty safe at stating that this was a 69-70 thing for those "deluxe" cars.

As for the earlier years we just need to look at more untouched cars ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
This has been a interesting thread. Jeff did all 67&68 have the boards or just the ones that did not have the sound deadner? Here is a picture of our 68 HCS (deluxe interior) gas tank it had the felt padding glued on but no signs of the asphalt layer. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
This has been a interesting thread. Jeff did all 67&68 have the boards or just the ones that did not have the sound deadner? Here is a picture of our 68 HCS (deluxe interior) gas tank it had the felt padding glued on but no signs of the asphalt layer. Marty

The 68 San Jose mentioned above (in the pictures) has it and I believe it was on all originally
Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 04:04:44 AM »

Jeff Speegle said: "On the same/similar point the early cars 64-66 often used a thin single layer product rather than the later jute, tar and paper combination! "

Jeff, What did '64-'66 cars have...Very curious.  Can you elaborate?? What was the thickness like, and what di the material look/feel like???

Heavily Curious.

Thanks,

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001