Author Topic: 65 T5 (Export) coupe for sale  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Burgundy66

65 T5 (Export) coupe for sale
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:13:07 AM »
Have for sale a '65 T5 Coupe, needing total restoration. 6cyl, 4spd, factory air conditioning, power brakes, rally pac, and console. The car I believe has been re-badged as "Mustang" at one time, but does wear the original 200kph speedometer, export brace, and some strange headlights. No T5 badges are left on the car. Original color is Rangoon red, with black standard interior. All original.

Condition: Body is rough. It definately needs every panel on the outside. Underneath is not as bad, though. Front frames, shock towers, and fender aprons are actually very nice and rust free from what I can tell. Rear rails and torque boxes aren't bad, as I found only the very rear tips of the frame are rusty. Definately not a "springs through the trunk floor" car. Solid. Front floors both sides are rusty, and there are spots under the seat risers. Figure full floors needed both sides. I still think it's restorable since the front and rear clips underneath are solid, and since it is a rare, yet somewhat strange car. I haven't tried firing the motor, but it is definately not locked up. Previous owner said it ran and drove back in 1998. And supposedly this car came back from Lebanon. I don't know much more than that about the history.

Other stuff. VIN 5T07T16xxxx, Date code I think is 13S, Color is J for Rangoon Red, Interior is 26 for Black standard, Tranny is 5 for 4-speed, Axle is 3 for 3.20 Open, and DSO is 95 for Export.

Title. I don't have one. Am in the process of trying to get one, but it will be probably a month and a half until that goes through. If you want to wait until I have the title in hand, the price is $1500. If interested as-is with a bill of sale, it will be $1300.

I have pictures located here on photbucket:

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/krlepp/Export%20Mustang/

Please email direct if interested:
krleppert at gmail dott com

Located 30 minutes east of Richmond Virginia. Thanks.

Kevin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 T5 (Export) coupe for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:58:53 AM »
Looks like a neat project and car.

Have a question for you if you don't mind. Is there something in the cars history that leads you to believe it was a T5. Plenty of the export cars had the same features as your car (as far as I can see from the information) but were badged with the normal Mustang Emblems.

BTW that is a really different/ odd Mustang emblem on the quarter panel.  That is going to be a conversation piece.

Good luck with the sale
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Burgundy66

Re: 65 T5 (or Export?) coupe for sale
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Actually, as of right now I'm kind of not sure what I have.   No 100% proof of German decent.  Previous owner said it came out of Lebanon, of all places.  What I do know is that it looks like it was restored at one time, with a skim coat of bondo over the whole car (but no dents), the interior was completely hand made (seat covers, dash pad, they did a good job), and it has a completely carpeted trunk.  Whoever did it did a nice job way back when.  But, there were these funky Mustang badges all over the car.   There are the ones in the picture on the quarter panels, and a round one that is glued on the console was on the quarters also (above the pictured one) and also up where a 289 badge would be for a V8 car.   The one badge in the picture was nicely done, and is someone's handiwork.  I can see where they took a fender "Mustang" badge and silver(?) soldered it to that other crest.   Anyway, looks like it got a bunch of Mustang badging in the previous early restoration.   That's where I was thinking it may have been a T5 that got branded as a Mustang, but maybe that's not right.   Guess without tracking down previous owners, we will never know for sure.   Maybe I should have titled it "T5 or Export" car for sale.

Question:  Do you know if T5s had a badge on the glove box door?  It looks like there was something attached there also at one time.

Bottom line - It is a strange, yet neat car, which is why I picked it up.  However, I have my eye on a Rangoon red plain-jane K-coupe in the woods and found that it is for sale, so I am going to just sell this thing in case I can close the deal on that one.  K-code is really what I have always wanted.   I only want to restore one more Mustang.   I might end up parting this thing out, but really don't want to.

Thanks,
Kevin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:17:13 PM by Burgundy66 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
"Lebanon,"  now that makes more sense with the 6 cyl  rather than going to Europe

That would make it rarer (likely not any more valuable) by far than a T5 since a fair number of soliders purchase those

The glove box would have had a running Mustang originally on it no matter where it went.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

Car sold today.   :)

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
I agree with Jeff, All T-5's will have an export DSO but not all export DSO (90-99) Mustangs will a T-5 (only those shipped or sold to German residents including U.S. servicemen).

The emblem on the pass. quarter panel looks like a custom made item. They used a 'MUSTANG' fender emblem and something else.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:22:16 PM by ExportMach »
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline stang-fan69

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »
I agree with Jeff, All T-5's will have an export DSO but not all export DSO (90=99) Mustangs will a T-5 (only those shipped or sold to German residents including U.S. servicemen).

Agree.

100% proof for a T5 would be a small metal plate rivited in the engine bay, usually near the right shock tower or somewhere on the firewall.

There should be "Vetrieb Ford Koln" in german language as well as the VIN engraved on the plate.

The T5s often had DSO´s in the low 90s, like from 90-92, but not always the case.
Andreas

69 Grande 9F01M139... P/S, A/C, Automatic

Munich, Germany

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »
Agree.

100% proof for a T5 would be a small metal plate rivited in the engine bay, usually near the right shock tower or somewhere on the firewall.
There should be "Vetrieb Ford Koln" in german language as well as the VIN engraved on the plate.

Help restore a few original T5's (purchased from original owners)  and know of maybe another half dozen. Never seen the plate similar (different terms) like you mention on those - though I have seen similar ones on cars shipped to other countries - even Japan

Just my experiences
Jeff Speegle

Offline T5owner

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
A friend pointed me to this, so sorry for no introduction as a first step..(later)

The "Vertrieb Ford Köln" plate was typically installed by Ford Dealer, but do not indicate the car to be a legit T-5 or not. My father had it in his 71 Mach 1 and had it imported via a friend from a east coast dealer, so it was definitely no real T-5. The plate can be just found on many 64-73 and later Ford car imports to Germany, being a T-5 or not. Not many are embossed the same way. Since many US cars were sold through Ford dealers they had to have tags like these for the approval authorities (TUEV).
All Mustang approved back then in Germany were approved along the official TUEV papers (we have copies of those) which indicate the T-5 as the type of vehicle (not Mustang) in the first line, that is why some self-imported Mustangs even got this Vertrieb Ford Koeln tag indicating T-5 on that special tag, but still it is not a proof for a real T-5 Ford US export.
The Mustang emblem on that Lebanon car seems to me being from a Krupp Mustang truck. Need to dig into my Krupp binder for that.
Wolfgang
Co-registrar T-5s (founded by Gary Hanson)

P.S: See also www.fordt5.com for the DSOs listed (basically 90-95/one 96 without proof). Acc. to Kevin Marti research the DSO 90-99 is rather based on the sales volume and channel and does not necessarily indicate the country. I have notified a variety of 90-96 DSOs from around the world.