Author Topic: Gas Tank  (Read 8682 times)

Offline sparky65

Gas Tank
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
I think I may have an original gas tank but it has undercoating on the bottom.  I am going to try to clean it up to see how it comes out.  But I was wondering if it is worth the work.  How close are the repro tanks?  And how can I verify that mine is an original before I go through the trouble of cleaning it?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
I think I may have an original gas tank but it has undercoating on the bottom.  I am going to try to clean it up to see how it comes out.  But I was wondering if it is worth the work.  How close are the repro tanks?

They are pretty close and IMHO a good choice for most

And how can I verify that mine is an original before I go through the trouble of cleaning it?

Does it have a drain?  Date code (if I recall correctly) is on the lip and can be viewed from the trunk side
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »
The way the two halves were seamed together is another difference . Seen from the trunk side as you look at the flange the assemblyline ones are one continuous welded seam only crossing where the beginning and the end overlap. The repros with the exception of this very trivial detail are difficult to beat are seamed  together with as many as 4 passe's of the spot /ribbon weld machine. Crossing each other at the corners. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Scott302

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
The way the two halves were seamed together is another difference . Seen from the trunk side as you look at the flange the assemblyline ones are one continuous welded seam only crossing where the beginning and the end overlap. The repros with the exception of this very trivial detail are difficult to beat are seamed  together with as many as 4 passe's of the spot /ribbon weld machine. Crossing each other at the corners. Bob

I have put aside original tanks from Dec 64 San Jose, Feb 65 Dearborn and 66 Metuchen cars.  The manufacturer of the repro tanks also has several original tanks.  None (mine or theirs) have the continuous weld bead, all have 4 individual overlapping beads.  The Ford blue prints only specify that the weld bead must be leak proof.  They do not specify a weld style.  I do have an "NOS" 65-68 Ford tank from the 80's that does have the continuous bead.  Depending on what year you were referring to I think we have to allow for both weld styles at least for 65-66's.
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:42:02 AM »
I just checked a late '64 gas tank I took out of a '65 San Jose coupe.  It has the original USS stamp on top, which I believe it something like November 1964.  This gas tank has lapped seam welds on the corners, no continuous weld.  Appears that both types were in use by Ford.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
That is good to hear . The cars I was inspecting with this visual quirk were some 66 and 67 dated San Jose built Shelby cars and admittedly not a high cross section.  Now I can advise others with high confidence that there is not a signifigant good reason not to use the repro gas tank for 65-68. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
Sorry I didn't follow the thread closer before since I visited one of the yards today and could have confirmed. Not sure if both were used since some of the stuff we are seeing could be earlier replacements.  Guess the date would be the only way to confirm for sure.
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »
Sorry I didn't follow the thread closer before since I visited one of the yards today and could have confirmed. Not sure if both were used since some of the stuff we are seeing could be earlier replacements.  Guess the date would be the only way to confirm for sure.

Which one are you thinking is the replacement?  Cross weld seams or continuous?  I am 100% certain that the tank I have is original as it has a 1964 USS stamp on it.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
Looked at some pics.  Found this one from Mike Murray's 4,500 mile Unrestored coupe.  It's an Aug. '64 Dearborn car with lapped seams:

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »

Which one are you thinking is the replacement?  Cross weld seams or continuous?  I am 100% certain that the tank I have is original as it has a 1964 USS stamp on it.
That makes two of us.  I am 100% certain the continuous seam version was assemblyline original in the 30,000 mile car example I have . The dealer  under coating preserved the underside finish well enough that it is still in use today on the same car now restored after a inside sealing job. Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:34:35 AM »

Could we have rushed to judgment - are we all even discussing the same year car? 

This might make a difference in suppliers and practices - just a thought ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
My examples as I said were some 66 and 67 dated San Jose built Shelby cars and admittedly not a high cross section. Based on what everyone is seeing it is a you say ,probably a difference in suppliers. That would explain the difference in gas tank production techniques. As I said before  now I can advise others with high confidence that there is not a signifigant good reason not to use the repro gas tank. Bob

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
There is a "less than desirable" repro gas tank out there though... believe it has a hex base at the drain plug and has a bolt-looking hex head plug.  Scott could probably elaborate.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
There is a "less than desirable" repro gas tank out there though... believe it has a hex base at the drain plug and has a bolt-looking hex head plug.  Scott could probably elaborate.

Originals and the two repros have a fitting base that meets up with the tank that is hex shaped.  The actual plug is a hex head on the imported tank and square on the original and Spectra tanks.
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »
Originals and the two repros have a fitting base that meets up with the tank that is hex shaped.  The actual plug is a hex head on the imported tank and square on the original and Spectra tanks.
Scott

Yes, you are right that the original was a hex base, I should have been more clear and mentioned that there are some repro's that have this base much more "pronounced" than originals.