Author Topic: Fix Rusty Original Exhaust Hangers or Replace with These Reproductions?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I'm finishing up the restoration of the underside of my '69 Mach 1.  I'm working on making the exhaust system acceptable for concours judging, but I've got something of a dilemma regarding the exhaust hangers, specifically, the hangers that mount at the very rear of the rear framerail and give the exhaust tips something to mount to.

The original hangers on my car are in pretty bad condition.  I understand that they were bare metal when these cars were new, and it shows.  Both hangers have pretty significant pitting, and I planned on replacing them.  However, looking at a set of the reproduction hangers, the repros look nothing like the originals.  In addition, it's like the reproductions are backwards from the originals.  Notice how the angled down portion faces to one side on the originals, then it's on the other side on the reproductions. 

What do I do?  Do I settle for an inferior original part, or an inferior reproduction?  Which would be best for concours judging?  And what are my odds of finding a decent replacement set of original hangers?  I assume anything besides NOS will be just as pitted and rough looking as the ones that came with the car.

Here's a picture of the two types of hangers, reproductions on the left (clean steel), and originals on the right:
Too much junk, too little time.