Author Topic: '65 Jacking Tabs??  (Read 5551 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65 Jacking Tabs??
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
I have made an error in positioning my floor jack under my '65 and colapsed one of my jacking tabs.
Any suggestions as to how to try & straighten it out before I make it worse?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: '65 Jacking Tabs??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
On a lower control arm or the rocker panel?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
i have straightened those using a punch. one that starts out round and turns into a square at the handle end. had to touch up the paint afterward but it looked ok.
5F09C331248

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »
Thanks Guys!!! Its one of the 2 on the lower control arm......I feel so stupid!!!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »
Carlite65: Would I be right in trying to use the punch you describe and just getting it started and then gently driving it through to help get the tab back into position?? (I feel so stupid!!!)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
yes. go slowly and do it from both sides to even it out.
5F09C331248

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
From My understanding, these are Not Jacking Tabs. they are easily damaged when trying to jack on them. From what I have heard, these were Factory Alignment Tabs. In the days when Mustang was born, Mechanics used thin rods inserted through these Tabs to Get a Proper suspension Alignment. Nowadays they use LASER's which can be used with these Tabs. that is also why New-Aftermarket Control Arms Just come with the Tiny Bumps, as the laser can read the minute change in the formation of the control arm and actually give a more precise alignment than the Tabs. I am not a Suspension Engineer, just thoughts. I am always Open to discussion. .
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:21:09 AM »
From My understanding, these are Not Jacking Tabs. they are easily damaged when trying to jack on them. From what I have heard, these were Factory Alignment Tabs. In the days when Mustang was born, Mechanics used thin rods inserted through these Tabs to Get a Proper suspension Alignment. Nowadays they use LASER's which can be used with these Tabs. that is also why New-Aftermarket Control Arms Just come with the Tiny Bumps, as the laser can read the minute change in the formation of the control arm and actually give a more precise alignment than the Tabs. I am not a Suspension Engineer, just thoughts. I am always Open to discussion. .

Interesting......I'd never heard that before.......I have always heard them called jacking tabs-I have always assumed that they were there to help keep a jack alligned in that area......however I'm not 100% sure of that.

Charles? Jeff?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »
Always heard them called jacking tabs.  Maybe there is mention in the shop manual if they are indeed used for alignment?  I would probably have to say no on that as I have observed the later Ford service replacement arms do not have the tabs welded on in the same position as originals.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
Thanks Charles. Would you have anything to add to what Carlite has suggested for me to try & straighten one of my tabs out?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:39:55 PM »
Maybe use a brass punch and hammer?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »
MAy be able to find some square stock (used for axle keys and the like) at the hardware store. Tapper the square bare at one end then work it in slowly (a little heat would not hurt if your careful) till the "square-ness" returns

Never heard or seen them used as alinement points - like others always heard them referred to as "jacking" tabs

Believe there is a shop[ manual picture of them being used as such
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
Those tabs have nothing to do with front wheel alignment.  They were designed to keep the vehicle from sliding sideways on the two post lifts that were the norm in the sixties.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »
Thanks Again Guys!!  I am going to try & straighten it out over the weekend.....I'll advise my results. Boy, do I feel stupid for letting this happen!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:08:40 PM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »
Thank you for the Input on my Comment. I can not remember who told me about them being Alignment Tabs, but it made a lot of sense at the time. The comments above put it into another perspective. I have also heard them referenced as Jacking Tabs quite often. I didn't align suspension in the 60's, nor these days, so this is why I put it out there for all of you to discuss also.  :).
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs