Author Topic: Headliner and visor color?  (Read 6510 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Headliner and visor color?
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:56:30 AM »
I have interior color code 28 on a 65 fastback. Now the headliner and the visors are not ivy gold but are some kind of an off white color. Does anyone know what color this is called? I don't think it is white since I had a white interior mustang before but who knows. They appear to be the original and according to the pics below they would of gone in this color combination (code 129 for headliner). Anyone else have this headliner or what color it is called?

Combination Code:

Headlinder Code (129):

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Headliner and visor color?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
What is the scheduled build date of your car?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
My 65 has trim code 68, which is ivy/white pony, and  has a scheduled build date of April 22, 65. I would think your headliner would be the same color as this if your car was built about the same time.   The headliner and visors are a very, very light color of green.  I thought for many years that it was just a white that had discolored over the years, but it really is a light green.  I had no issue getting the proper color from Va. Mustang a few years ago.  Check out yours by exposing a portion that has been behind the trim and was protected from the sun and elements. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 02:52:29 PM by Murf »
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »
October 29, 1964 - San Jose, so it is officially 45 years old
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
With that build date, the car probably had an off-white headliner, but possibly it could have been real light ivy gold like Murf mentioned.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
We did order ivy gold visors a long time ago from Viginia Mustang and the color way off.  When I get home I will take a side by side picture of the two as well as the headliner.  If it is off white, it would make it hard to replace if needed since I dont see it offered in any catalog.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:23:57 AM »
To get the right color, you would most likely have to find NOS material from places like SMS Fabrics.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:23 AM »
Here are some pics comparing the visor bought from Virginia Mustang (ivy gold) and the original visors and headliner.  As you can see the new visor is darker:

Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Online rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:08:56 AM »
I went through this on my 9/65 San Jose car with Ivy Gold/White Deluxe interior.  I used the light ivy headliner material (which I knew was correct because I found a piece still stuck in the molding) and had a hard time getting visors to match.  I returned two pairs due to the mismatch you noted.

I learned that the headliner came from Scott Drake, and called them to confirm that their visors were made with the exact same material, and then had to go searching for Drake visors (not carried by many, it seems).  Anyway, end result was a perfect match but it took way more effort than it should have ::)
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
Here are some pics comparing the visor bought from Virginia Mustang (ivy gold) and the original visors and headliner.  As you can see the new visor is darker:

I'm not sure how long ago you purchased these, but the problem may be the simple fact of how the manufacturer "names" the colors.  I don't want to confuse anyone, but here it goes...

The manufacturer may, does, and has used the name "ivy gold" on a material that is not the ivy gold that came in your car.  The real color that you need, as Murf pointed out, is called "light green."  (Unless, as Charles pointed out, the car came with the off white color-which is just called "white.")

It looks as if you may have gotten "Ivy Gold."  That is definitely too dark.  We don't even stock that color for a 65-66 right now.  We also do not even use the name "ivy gold" in the catalog.  If we once did, we don't any more.

I know this is a bit confusing, but hopefully I explained it so it makes some sense.

So, again, just order light green or white.  Light Green should be really, really close (if that is what you have and not white)   ....and don't even get me started on the carpet color names for the same thing, but the manufacturer calls it Moss Green.

Offline Patrk71

• My Mustang Restoration & Story
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
I have a 65 Coupe (which I bought new) which had a white headliner and white visors.  Although the original visors were card board.  Has anyone a lead on NOS or Repo visors made of card board?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »
I'm not aware of any reproductions of the board-style visors.  I have one NOS black convertible one and had a red coupe one a while back.  I do have a pair of original white coupe, but the binding has pulled up.