Author Topic: No VIN on CJ428 Block  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Siberia

No VIN on CJ428 Block
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:01:01 AM »
I am negotiating to buy a 1968 GT500KR. The owner claims the engine is the original, BUT there is no VIN or partial VIN stamped on the back of the block where it should be (or anywhere else). Everything else (mechanicals) checks out in terms of verifying that it is a CJ428:
-The casting number given is E1 8E7 which I have decoded as May 7th, 1968

-There is another number cast on the block which I think reads 28 D1F which I have decoded as Mold type 28 from the Dearbourn Foundry

-There is a 'C' on the back of the block scrathed into the cast which I believe was done at the foundry to designate a 'Cobra Jet' block

-The number stamped into the rod cap reads 2 C 2AE and

-There is the extra webbing inside the intake chamber.

The thing that strikes me with this is that a reasonable person would assume that this car is not unique in not having the VIN stamped on the block (it could not have been the only one?). That is, others built on that day or that week would also have been affected - right? If my logic is correct, then why can’t I find any forum, chat room, web link, etc that mentions this  It can’t be that rare of an issue and should be, by all accounts a subject that has been debated and documented by Shelby ‘experts’. Yet I can’t find any such thing…..very strange to me?

Can anyone help me?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: No VIN on CJ428 Block
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:07:52 AM »
Same advice as I posted elsewhere ;)

Check the end of the heads (may have been swapped from side to side during rebuild so check front and back) or the rear of the intake (intake is more of a 500 thing from my understanding - but worth a look)

NJ had some different workers /practices at times ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:43:39 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
There are a lot of the same people here as there are on the other sites you have posted on. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67shelby

• Just jackin' around
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
Mine are on the heads...
Lorne Willard - MCA 38287

1965 GT Coupe, 1966 Convertible, 1967 Shelby GT350, 1968 Coupe, 1970 SCJ Mach 1,2003 Mach 1, 2007 Shelby, 2013 GT Vert
MCA Certified: 65-66 Concours, 67-68 Concours, 69-70 Concours, 71-73 Concours, 65-66 Concours Shelby, 67-68 Concours Shelby, 69-70 Concours Shelby, OD, DD

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »
Mine are on the heads...

Year and plant??  (guessing NJ ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
I realize this is considerably after the fact  and I believe you've passed on buying the car but I'll post so others may learn. It has been my observation that NJ 428 cars do not have any VIN on the block but have an assembly date stamped on the machined boss just next to the # 8 cyl. I would also add that although there are some inconsistancies in VIN stamping of engines (heads/intake and missing) on early 68's like Dec/Jan, by the time CJs were around it had gotten very consistant and I have never seen a KR that I felt had not been tampered with that didn't have the heads stamped. Sometimes they are very faint and can't be completely read but they have always been there. Also if they are faint you will never be able to see them in the car and don't forget if car has had heads off at some point the VIN might now be on the front of the head.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
I realize this is considerably after the fact  and I believe you've passed on buying the car but I'll post so others may learn. It has been my observation that NJ 428 cars do not have any VIN on the block but have an assembly date stamped on the machined boss just next to the # 8 cyl. I would also add that although there are some inconsistancies in VIN stamping of engines (heads/intake and missing) on early 68's like Dec/Jan, by the time CJs were around it had gotten very consistant and I have never seen a KR that I felt had not been tampered with that didn't have the heads stamped. Sometimes they are very faint and can't be completely read but they have always been there. Also if they are faint you will never be able to see them in the car and don't forget if car has had heads off at some point the VIN might now be on the front of the head.
Tim, if you post this comment on the corresponding thread on the CJ forum you are likely to get your head bit off by those opposed to your notion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
Tim - just to clarify for viewers now and in the future so you mean by the following that this has been your observation for all years at NJ?

". It has been my observation that NJ 428 cars do not have any VIN on the block but have an assembly date stamped on the machined boss just next to the # 8 cyl"
Jeff Speegle

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 08:06:02 AM »
Tim, if you post this comment on the corresponding thread on the CJ forum you are likely to get your head bit off by those opposed to your notion. Bob
Oh it wouldn't be the first time for that Bob,   ;D  Anyway like I said it is just my observations and pertains to NJ cars only
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America