Author Topic: Rally Pac Refinishing  (Read 3389 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Rally Pac Refinishing
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »
I need to refinish the housing of my '66 Rally Pac and would appreciate any tips on recreating the white wrinkle finish.  I am playing with rattle can wrinkle paint, which is only available in black or red, and then changing the color after creating the wrinkle finish.  The first attempt didn't work so well; the white paint obscured some of the wrinkle.  We are going to try again using white lacquer to change the color.

Has anyone successfully done this and do you have any tips?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rally Pac Refinishing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
It can be done, but will take a while.  You can only apply real light coats of lacquer if you're changing the color.

The other option is to have a paint store custom mix some wrinkle paint in the color you need.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
The other option is to have a paint store custom mix some wrinkle paint in the color you need.

Charles - I didn't know that was an option.  I thought "wrinkle" was black magic!  I'll look into that at my local paint store.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
I've always baked mine stuff after the second coat of paint. Seems to produce a more even final finish IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:02 PM »
Agree with the heating.  I usually just use a heat gun to cure the paint.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
Jim, I have been faced with the same problem.  This method may help you.  Coat the pot metal with three good (heavy) coats of the wrinkle paint, the secret here is to apply them evenly because the paint will wrinkle in proportion to the thickness of the paint. A portion that has more paint then the rest will cause an uneven wrinkle effect. I used black.  Heat in an oven , one that is not in the house will save a lot of domestic problems.  This leaves an awful smell in your house that is difficult to lie out of being the guilty person.  Allow the paint to wrinkle, the more the better, and the thicker coats will cause more wrinkle than the thin coats.  Let this dry for a couple of days or for a day in a warm sunny spot.  After it is cured spray VERY light coats of lacquer, in your case probably the off white color, let each coat dry.  Fash drying is not enough, the paint needs to be really dry.  Keep adding these thin coats, thin enough so that the white interior paint does not bridge the wrinkles. By thin, I mean a dusting of paint, NOT thinned paint! Enough thin coats need to be applied to get the interior color, and it takes several coats.  It can be done and the results will look as if the wrinkle paint was white.  I have not had an issue with chipping.  Hope this is of some help to you and there certainly may be much better methods, but this worked for me.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »
This is were an old BBQ comes in handy. You can keep an eye on the wrinkle effect and the fumes won't be a problem. Works for me.