Author Topic: Dash cluster lighting  (Read 2672 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Dash cluster lighting
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »
The original incandescent bulbs in the dash cluster were always too dim in these old cars. Tried out the LED lamps from NPD and all I can saw is WOW. If you drive your car these are a great idea.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:05:47 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline sparky65

Re: Dash cluster lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:02 PM »
Which ones did you get?  It looks like you can get individual bulbs, and then two different sets depending on if you want them to work with the rheostat.  Ive read the LED's change the color is that true? 

I dont expect to do much night driving but wondering if I should replace all the bulbs while I have the cluster apart.  If i replace them i am thinking about LED.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
If you have the cluster out don't give it another thought. LED's are the way to go. I got the set which works with the reostat but thinking about it now I should have just saved the dollars as I like them at the brightest setting. Using the old incandescent bulbs I could hardly see the numbers on the speedo and that was with new bulbs. With the LED's its like looking at the dash in a new car. Because the LED's are a cleaner white light the blue lenses in the cluster give the appearance of a nice blue light versus the bluish green of the incandescent bulb. These bulbs will last forever, burn cooler so no more melted blue lenses. They are also much crisper at the turn signal arrows.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:31 AM »
+1 LEDs are the way to go!

Offline fastwayfirebird400

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:15:57 AM »
Did you leave the blue filters in the gauge housing? Did you get the white LED's or Blue" ?

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 06:09:47 PM »
If you have the cluster out don't give it another thought. LED's are the way to go. I got the set which works with the reostat but thinking about it now I should have just saved the dollars as I like them at the brightest setting. Using the old incandescent bulbs I could hardly see the numbers on the speedo and that was with new bulbs. With the LED's its like looking at the dash in a new car. Because the LED's are a cleaner white light the blue lenses in the cluster give the appearance of a nice blue light versus the bluish green of the incandescent bulb. These bulbs will last forever, burn cooler so no more melted blue lenses. They are also much crisper at the turn signal arrows.

Looks like you actually read the instructions !  Can I ask WERE THEY GOOD?   
You can confirm these are actually hipoparts.com kits !  (there are others selling LED's - BUT THEY aren't the same)

Would like you guys to know you are dealing with a LONG TIME Mustang owner, collector and truely GREAT GUY in Bill !  It has been a tough time with the economy.   I chose to actually use ALL LED'S in my 1969 - as a favor to Bill.  Car looks great ! (and I'm not taking them out)

Mark
P.S.  Though there isn't a vendor area Bill has a great chart for our cars that could be posted (IF OK) it really helps for those that just want to replace certain bulbs (as you go) during component repair
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
Firebird I got the white LED's for the dash and left the blue filters in place. The color now is a nicer clean blue versus the old bluish green. Mark the tail lights look great in the 69. Is it a simple bulb swap or do you need to fool around with transformers, extra wiring or something which would make it look unoriginal?