Author Topic: Facebook group 'ConcoursMustang'  (Read 10979 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Facebook group 'ConcoursMustang'
« on: April 18, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
Just an FYI to the forum that we have a "ConcoursMustang" private group on Facebook.  I created it about a year or so ago, been a bit of an uptick in activity lately.  I have kept it private for now and all requests will go through approvals to join.

While the Facebook group cannot possibly replace the forum when it comes to searching prior posts, it definitely is another way of supporting this part of the hobby.  It also helps put some faces to names and give us somewhere to get to know each other better instead of only at in-person events.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Facebook group 'ConcoursMustang'
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »
I have been posting some brief videos of recent work I have been doing over there.

The inability to directly post videos within threads at this site (that is without using a link), isn't really a problem but using Facebook simplifies the ability to do so. Video posts can be a lot of additional help over simply posting a few snapshots of the work being done. Video clips might also reveal workmanship details that are, for good or bad, not seen in a snapshot.

I like the option but agree, there is no replacing THIS site for the search ability structure.

Thanks Charles for all you do both here and over there.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rrenz

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »
This site is very valuable and is irreplaceable. However as the hobby evolves and brings in younger people I think its just more of a natural progression. In some respects will help to keep clubs like the MCA and AACA chugging along. Im in my mid 30's and very involved in the AACA circuit personally. Im typically one of the youngest people in the room when put into a awards banquet at the end of a National Show. I think its just as important for us to change with the hobby as technology and the younger generations start to become involved. Im knee deep in the restoration of a 49 Hudson. Theres very little to no younger people I'm either getting advice or parts from. in a way that could be a bad thing as we let certain aspects of the hobby die off to only let the rat rods and diesel powered model t's take over....I hate seeing a hacked up car butchered to death with edelbrock and MSD do dads....Full restoration is a art and talent that I don't think the younger generation will ever understand.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 01:27:54 AM »
Just requested to join.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline stangfan

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »
I also just requested to join.   8)
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
I was in that group and quit it yesterday after being told what I was discussing was not allowed by the MCA. As I cannot stand being told what I can, and cannot, discuss and after defending this country on the battlefield. I cannot bring myself to participating in a Facebook page that, when the moderator and I disagree, I am told I cannot discuss the issue. And I thought FB, Twitter and the like were bad....why we do this to ourselves I will never understand. Hopefully I will not be pushed out here for discussing dealer installed options as they relate to shows, acceptability and judging. Time will tell. Nothing I detest more than restricted flow of thoughts, perceptions and points of view.

Dealer and over the counter accessories are treated differently for judging.  I read through those comments about the trunk release and didn't really see anything discussed that would be different here.  It's perfectly ok to do whatever you want with your car.  We try to focus only on concours-correctness and will let owners know that some of those choices may result in point deductions if showing with the national level clubs/shows (MCA/SAAC/MCACN/Mid-America...)  Jeff, I and others here have always maintained neutrality to any club or judging rules and focus on factory correctness.

In the past, dealer accessories were taken too far by some folks and producing cars at shows that were not a representation of something someone would have bought new from a Ford dealership.  MCA does allow for reasonable installation of these as long as they are period accessories.  Some judges don't know all of them, so it would be expected that owners should show proof that it was available... which can be in the form of accessory catalogs, parts catalogs, etc...  Typically, 1 or maybe 2 accessories are allowed in the major areas (Interior/Trunk/Exterior/Engine Bay/Undercarriage).  Judges have the flexibility to deduct for over-use of these, up to 5 points in each category.

The facebook page is not for everyone, the purpose was to reach other folks that may not want to participate here.  I'm the owner of the group and did not make any comments that your comments were not allowed.

Offline uapilot

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »
Thank you and I appreciate what you said.

I just stating my view from the perspective of an owner who have ?heard? or learned of various owners at shows and the moderator, R.U., basically shut me down. Not a fan of that whatsoever. Thought it was a discussion and they had their POV as did I. In the Navy we call it a ?pissing contest? and that?s what I come away with. Some know more than others but I also know there is a lot of debate on many issues and the MCA rules DO change from time to time. Shutting someone down kinda defeats the purpose, in my mind.

In my FB comment that I was at the 2018 NH show and someone we all know whose name I will not divulge walked away with a Gold and he had the rotunda tissue box on his right kick panel...and his Mustang was immaculate. In fact, I ping on him to this day for expert advice on my 66.

My feelings, correct or not, is that if it is a period correct accessory that I, in 1966, could have had the dealer install when I bought the car, then it should be allowed. Just my opinion mind you. If it is a repro item then no....trying to think...his car also have the trunk light and it was original as was the tissue box.

Some of us are into the Concours Daily Drivers, as am I so it?s probably a moot point. I do love driving mine as well as taking it to shows.

Thanks fo me the level-headed response Sir!

Cheers,
David

Online jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 03:30:43 PM »
I was in that group and quit it yesterday after being told what I was discussing was not allowed by the MCA. - - Nothing I detest more than restricted flow of thoughts, perceptions and points of view.
I'm the owner of the group and did not make any comments that your comments were not allowed.
In that case, the appropriate moderator or commenter needs to be "educated".
Another reason to avoid Facebook.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 03:58:58 PM »
In that case, the appropriate moderator or commenter needs to be "educated".
Another reason to avoid Facebook.
Jim

I'm the only moderator, so I'm a bit confused.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »
In that case, someone posted a comment that didn't know what they were talking about, a common "feature" of Facebook.
You might consider some research.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »
In that case, someone posted a comment that didn't know what they were talking about, a common "feature" of Facebook.
You might consider some research.
Jim

As mentioned already, I read the comments and honestly didn't see anything that was much different than would be posted here. 

Some folks have a different interpretation of concours, but that's anywhere.

Offline uapilot

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 05:26:41 PM »
Sorry Charles. Perhaps I?m seriously mixed up...and that would not be the first time. I must have thought someone else was the moderator and I am quite sorry I assumed he was. I won?t go into names in public and I won?t point fingers...so I won?t go into any further detail as I do not desire to tarnish anyone misguidedly.

I can clear this up via PM if you want to...but I?m resigned to thinking I thought this individual was the moderator and I got that from the way he was ?talking? to me via his posts in a seemingly authoritative group admin manner.

Charles, it definitely was not you so I apologize openly before everyone.

The reputation of FB has contributed to this as some are anti-FB due to
the recent stories of cancel culture. This is not that! It was just a discussion I was having and my opinion was shut down by another in the group I thought was the moderator.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
David

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 08:25:03 PM »
No worries David, it's easy to get spun up on facebook today and I totally get why some don't want to go there.  I've done a bunch of cleanup on the things I look at and try to keep it as positive as possible.  There are so many negative things going on that I just simply do not have the bandwidth to even look at.

I'd encourage you to join back to the group, there's lots of good folks there, a lot who are here also.  I'm sure it would prove helpful like the forum.

Offline uapilot

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
Thank you Sir...and for your graciousness.

I removed the initial post as, in light of what I have learned, it was not appropriate as blame was misguided.
I tend to read, conclude and respond too quickly....it's a pilot thing!
I shall indeed return and again, thank you!

Dave W.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:54:30 PM by uapilot »