Author Topic: headliner glue  (Read 3707 times)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
headliner glue
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:12:09 AM »
This has always been a problem area. Is there a "headliner glue" out there that works the best? I find I can get the headliner in place wrinkle free, but unless I put some chunks of windlace to hold it and let it dry over the next day or two, it will tend to fall off. I was using 3m trim adhesive, then started using weather strip ahesive with better results, but would much rather use the correct stuff.   Chris

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: headliner glue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »
What you need is Neoprene contact cement.  This comes in a can that you can brush on or can be loaded into a cheapo spray gun.  The stuff I use comes with a brush attached to the screw-off lid.  The brand is Hecht and they sell on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Pint-Neoprene-Rubber-Contact-Adhesive_W0QQitemZ360122241398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d8f55176&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293%3A1|294%3A30

The only problem with their glue is that the metal shaft for the brush will rust inside the can, turning the glue a dark brown color.  The best thing might be to remove the brush and replace the lid with a regular cap.  The pint and half pint come with the brush.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
Thanks charles, thats the info I was looking for.    Chris

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
Charles,
I was going to ask the same question after seeing in your garage when I was down.  Thanks for sharing.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:41:35 AM »
One word of warning. Purchase this stuff in small units. Cans once opened often do not reseal well. Many of us have returned to use our container a couple of months later and it will be half empty and hard as a rock.

Learn from us and purchase multiple smaller units
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)