Author Topic: Replacement door glass  (Read 4532 times)

Offline BMRBill

Replacement door glass
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
Has anybody had a problem with installing replacement door window glass for 64-66 cars. I recently installed new glass and could not get it to roll up or down hardly at all. I removed it and reinstalled the original and it rolls up and down fine. ::)I discovered that the curvature is incorrect on it. This happened on both doors. The original glass is scratched and date codes are not consistant  5d and 5j and one is tinted the other is not. That was the reason for replacing it.  :D

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Replacement door glass
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
Where did you acquire the replacement glass from?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
I haven't had a problem with just the side glass, but had a heck of a time with the repro side glass with the new frame and track from NPD. As you said, just couldn't get it to roll up and down correctly. As if it were glued in a different possition. Ended up just removing the glass and installing it into the original frame and track.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:06:03 PM by thefordshow »

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
Yep its junk.  Here is what happens.  I noticed it doesn't roll up or down if its not correctly placed in the track.  make sure that glass stainless frame on the far right edge is exactly next to the track and the screw is tight as well.  I have notice that even 1/16 of an inch will cause problems its a real pita

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
The glass came from P&S glass, they are located in Beloit Wis. They have been really good about making it right but as you all know it comes from China need I say more. I am suppose to see replacement pieces soon so I hope it is better. If you lay the original on the replacement on a flat surface the curvature is off as much as a 1/8" the glass ends up binding in the front guide.The bad part is it is a shot in the dark getting good ones.

Bill

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
I bought reproduction tinted door glass from P S for my K Convertible and had THEM remove the trim and attaching parts from my old glass and install it onto my new glass and I assume my restorer had no problems installing it because mine work perfectly!
The folks at P S are very pleasent to work with and very customer service oriented as well-something that is very big with me!

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
Yes they are very nice to work with. Mike said he is going to check the replacement pieces before they are shipped to make sure they are right. I don't think I can ask more than that !

Bill

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
Bill, Please keep us posted as to your final results on this.
Great folks at PS there in WI

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
I recieved the glass Thursday evening. I will let you know how it works out.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 06:58:44 AM »
Just as a side note I bought Sun-X tinted glass and the etching of the logos and dates they put on it matched the 45 year old markings on my other glass perfectly, and the tint matches perfectly as well-the new glass can't be told from the original vents and quarters!!  Great stuff!!

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:47 PM »
Just to finish this up I finally was able to get the replacement glass installed and the windows actually roll up and down like they are suppose to. Mike stood by his products and was really great to work with.

Bill Collins

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 12:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the report. Always good to hear positive news
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)