Author Topic: '65 Handling Package rear spring paint codes  (Read 6143 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
'65 Handling Package rear spring paint codes
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:02:02 AM »
Nice example of '65 San Jose rear leaf spring color codes.  From the '65 K convertible that I'm restoring:

http://65kresto.blogspot.com/2009/12/121209.html
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

Re: '65 Handling Package rear spring paint codes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
Charles - I "discovered" EvapoRust about 6 months ago; amazing stuff.  I bought some PVC pipe and soaked the leaf springs 1/2 at a time, careful to adjust the liquid level so that the "line" fell where the axle/spring plate would hide any differences from one end to the other.  BTW, my 9/65 San Jose car had two of the white "check marks" on each backing plate (like an 11 in appearance).
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
I'm thinking that simply soaking these leaf springs would be acceptable as a final finish.  I need to find something big enough to soak them at once instead of half-n-half.

Also had the same results with the front coil springs.  The ones on the K convertible were not painted, definitely a natural finish.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
...........  BTW, my 9/65 San Jose car had two of the white "check marks" on each backing plate (like an 11 in appearance).

Charles and I have been discussing this in emails - what engine (so we can determine what size brakes the car came with) did the car come with.  My current opinion is that these are more for identification rather than an indication of any adjustment. We find different numbers of slashes and different colors used through the years. Also during the periods (long term discussion related to this) period when the plant used the backing plates with out the hole punched out we still find these marks.

Back to the EvapoRust stuff. Where are you guys purchasing the stuff from and is there a "shelf life" one its been mixed and used?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:18:53 PM »
Jeff - the 9/65 car is an A-code, 4-speed GT FB.  My 3/69 San Jose CJ 4-speed car also has the two "11" marks on the backing plates and I don't recall right now whether they are on the front (drum) brakes, the rear brakes or both.  I'll take a look.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »
Where do you find what color should be dabbed on the leaf springs?  I looked in the restoration guide and it doesnt say anything on that part
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
Where do you find what color should be dabbed on the leaf springs?  I looked in the restoration guide and it doesnt say anything on that part

The colors are dependent on the drive-train type and also optional equipment.  Additionally, there are spray dots and stripes used at the different assembly plants.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:47:05 AM »

Think the "restoration guide" your referring to is pretty much just a reprinting of some of the 72 or 75 Master Parts Catalog with a few descriptions and pictures thrown in. IMHO would not expect to find allot to help you there.

As always make sure everything else on the car is correct before you worry about all the gingerbread (paint marks and such)  The right ones will not help you get a better award (since they are not required in any Concours class) but the wrong ones may cost you one ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:49 AM »
I was referring to the restoration guide by Tom Corcoran.  It does give some paint marks on the front coil springs but not the leaf springs.  So was curious as to where the information came from.  Not that I would be doing that to my car anytime soon.  It would need a rotisserie restoration if I was to do the underneath.  Right now its just an occasionally driven car that I'm enjoying.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »
We've found a lot of errors in that reference.  At the time it was printed, we didn't know what we know now.  The book is nice if you want the MPC schematics all in one place, but mistakes can be made by not using them in the proper context.  Confusing yet?!  :)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »
I guess this is drifting off topic, but here are pics of the rear brake backing plates from my 9/65 scheduled build San Jose car;

I think I was confused about there being similar marks on my 3/69 SJ car, as I don't see any by casual inspection.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
Jim - V8 C or A code?
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:41:45 AM »
Jim - V8 C or A code?

Jeff - as I noted above, A-code 4-speed GT FB.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
Jeff - as I noted above, A-code 4-speed GT FB.

Sorry missed it in the post up top

Thanks
Jeff Speegle