Author Topic: 67 Brake Recall  (Read 6429 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
67 Brake Recall
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:54:02 AM »
Ford had a problem with their Midland-Ross brake boosters during the 1967 production run. In response to the problems Ford tried a couple of fixes but the final attempt (with a full service/recall campaign) took place on or about mid May 1967. The final fix included a new and improved brake booster and check valve. The following is a post I made elsewhere and I thought viewers here might benefit from the information here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The red mark on the booster IMHO is the second part of the 67 recall process. First step was a new/revised check valve that received a red daub when this didn't fix the problems Ford recalled the whole unit. These were marked also with the red mark so that service personnel could identify them from the ones that had not been replaced. Since this was a big (allot of cars) service campaign Ford supplied a ton of these to dealerships and IMHO the reason why there are so many of both the check valves and booster assemblies out there in NOS form. Of course none service replacements would have also had these markings on them for a period of time after the fix was incorporated.

New and improved check valve-C7AZ-2365-A

Recall/Service Campaign booster (notice the Service Campaign sticker on box-C7ZZ-2005-A

Service replacement (new and improved/after recall) master cylinder and booster assy-C7ZZ-2005-A1

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 Brake Recall
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  From a judging perspective not sure how to handle cars with the red mark before the date.  It is a safety item, so throws a kink in the matter.  Thoughts?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  From a judging perspective not sure how to handle cars with the red mark before the date.  It is a safety item, so throws a kink in the matter.  Thoughts?

Guess from two different angles

1- If I was restoring a 67 built the date I would want to use the new and improved parts but would leave off the little red daubs since that would represent the way it was as delivered

2- As a judge and since this is a safety item, as you mentioned, I would not deduct for it but after judging might discuss the issue with the owner. Allowing all the recall items can cause allot of confusion since some were addressed up to 5 years or more after the car was built. Some are safety issues (if you don't do this the car or owner is at risk) while others are warning sort of things (thinking CAUTION and space saver decals for example) while others are repair issues like the seat back fix.

As always - a can of worms ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
My 67 Shelby GT500 had no red daubs on it when I bought
it back in 1977 in Huntington Beach, CA. It was finished
at San Jose on Jan. 31st, 1967 and at Shelby in mid May, 67.
Sold to a L.A. dealer in Oct. 67. Don't know what the recall
was all about but my M-R booster worked until the summer of 2009
when it gave up. Have to get another one before going to
Sweden next summer. NOS or rebuilt? If rebuilt, who does a good
job from your perspective?
Texas Swede

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
TS - never had one rebuilt but I know there are people out there that do this- hopefully someone will have a recommendation for you

Charles - Thinking more about your question about what to do with a car built prior to the recall with the booster and I think the marks should not be there. Its not the marks that are the "safety issue" but the booster and valve. Car can be presented historically correct and still be safe in this case
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:37:53 PM »

Charles - Thinking more about your question about what to do with a car built prior to the recall with the booster and I think the marks should not be there. Its not the marks that are the "safety issue" but the booster and valve. Car can be presented historically correct and still be safe in this case

Yes, I would go with that.  Have the upgraded (safe) part, but without the red mark... depending on when the car was actually made.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
Have to get another one before going to
Texas Swede
I would have yours rebuilt. A NOS one could have shrunken deteriorated rubber from age and some of the service pieces don't have the markings of assembly pieces. As far as who, Booster Dewey is the man,         
http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
Have to get another one before going to
Texas Swede
I would have yours rebuilt. A NOS one could have shrunken deteriorated rubber from age and some of the service pieces don't have the markings of assembly pieces. As far as who, Booster Dewey is the man,         
http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
+1 .Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby