Author Topic: Green stripe on drive shaft  (Read 1951 times)

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
Green stripe on drive shaft
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:04:51 AM »
This green stripe appears to have been applied while shaft was rotating prior to the shaft rusting based on the surface finish under the paint. Anyone seen this same stripe before? Its towards the rear of the shaft.
Rick
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:07:19 AM by rmaginnis »
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Green stripe on drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
Checked my pictures of 70 Boss drivelines and no one else has mentioned or sent pictures of a green stripe in addition to the expected Blue, Blue, Lavender  identification stripes

Sorry

Just a thought - does yours have the regular stripes and the green in addition to the others?  If not could the driveline have been swapped in the past?>

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »
Jeff,
here's some additional pics. Paint was well thinned prior to application based on how the colors ran together on the bottom. Based on the rust pitting (or lack thereof) all the stripes, including the green, were applied very early on. Obviously the Bl/Bl/LA was applied by vendor, the green who knows. No question that the shaft was rotating when the green was applied. The bare metal under the green stripe was more pristine than under the bl/bl/la stripes. I might have mixed up the front and rear of the shaft - was the lavander stripe on the transmission side or the axel side?

This drive shaft came from the Boss 302 that Mark Brown built for Parnelli Jones and I don't know if that was a Dearborn or a Metuchen build. I can probably find out.
Rick
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:29:35 PM by rmaginnis »
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
Thanks Rick
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)