Author Topic: GT M-U-S-T-A-N-G lettering  (Read 5167 times)

Offline 6R07K

GT M-U-S-T-A-N-G lettering
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:50 AM »
G'day Folks

I've got a May 66 SJ coupe which seems to be a factory GT. The M-U-S-T-A-N-G lettering in the GT stripes is seriously crooked on one side and I'm thinking its the result of reproduction letters into the existing holes 22 years ago. The pre restoration photo's aren't good enough to judge if they were originally crooked. I've come across a number of references to the SJ plant being pretty bad at aligning them. Should I leave them be or start trying various other letters to get a better alignment?

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: GT M-U-S-T-A-N-G lettering
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:05:01 AM »
BEN.

it could be a combination of a couple of things.  replacement fenders and yes repo letters and also a combination of repo and original letters.
i am definately someone who has had issues with mixing and matching repo and original letters.

My last car which you probably saw at your recent WA concours tooks many attempts to get correct and that was a result of original fenders and repo letters       

as a owner of several unrestored 65/66 gt's from SJ i would disagree that they left assembly line signicantly crooked or missaligned.
can you confirm that your letters are original ones or repo examples.

look forward to your comments

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
Agree with Phill about repro letters.  I have never seen a set that went on straight.  Would rather have good used originals that aren't perfect, but straight than repro.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Your observation is one way you determine that the car is a factory GT, the fenders' MUSTANGS letters are crooked. All three of my San Jose Fastback GTs (1 1965, 2 1966) are that way. Because of all the croocked letters, I would think that the holes were hand drilled using a paper template or a worn metal one. It fits the way you determine if a Rally Pak is original Ford, the clock don't work.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 6R07K

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »
Fenders are original, letters I'm assuming are reproduction. Beside some letters being rotated the word doesn't sit straight in the stripes. Stripes seem to be placed properly.

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
The letters aren't supposed to be centered in the stripe according to the Ford drawing.  Although who knows if the procedure was consistently followed.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 05:21:20 AM »
The letters aren't supposed to be centered in the stripe according to the Ford drawing.  Although who knows if the procedure was consistently followed.

Charles, I've never seen the Ford drawings regarding the stripe placement.....does it sit higher or lower than center?
-seen so many varriations at the shows...

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:50:59 AM »
I had this crooked letter issue with hood letters as well.  Ended up using my originals rather than drilling new holes or living with crooked letters.
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »
Charles, I've never seen the Ford drawings regarding the stripe placement.....does it sit higher or lower than center?
-seen so many varriations at the shows...

The stripes are centered up and down, but offset to one side between the letters.    Would take a while to dig out the drawing.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »
I would be interested in the drawing for the GT M-U-S-T-A-N-G letters, and the letters' drawings as well (difficult to find I'm sure). Part of the problem is the accumulation of tolerances, the tolerances on the position of the holes in conjunction with the tolerances of the pins on the letters. What that means is if the tolerance is +/- 0.010 inch on the pin position and a +/- 0.010 inch on the hole position, it may be 0.020 inch off and still be within specification. That still doesn't take into consideration the barrel nuts used.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
Here's my left side letters. I wonder if there's any consistency in the mismatched alignment.
From mine - using a straight edge, the M, S and G all touch on their tops. The A is lowest so a straight edge wobbles and can't be used well.
M - RH up
U - RH down? and low
S - Appears level
T - Appears level but low
A - Appears level but very low
N - RH up
G - Appears level
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
Here's some pics of the fender letters of the GT convertible I restored in '05.  This is a May '65 Dearborn car.  Original fenders, NOS letters.  Think that they align pretty well.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »
i have attached a image from my unrestored 66 gt coupe from San Jose Feb 66 built car.

think they are really good alignment wise.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »
Sorry to bring up and old topic, but does anyone have the original measurements that Ford used for the placement of the letters.  I have a friend who has a factory GT and he has a NOS fender and wants to get the spacing and measurements right before drilling holes.  He doesn't have the original fender as it was in an accident back in the 70's.

Thanks
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 04:12:21 PM »
I had access to this original fender for a couple of hours (May, 2012), but did manage to get these pictures.
Note the "A" and "T" were misaligned.
Jim